Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: From Make America Great Again to Make Afghanistan Great Again?

Yppej

From Make America Great Again to Make Afghanistan Great Again?

Bye bye Bannon, here come the generals.

A nice distraction from Russiagate?

I think this will ramp up the deficit and affect retirees down the road.

It was an interesting speech - basically I heard Afghanistan needs to fix it, Pakistan needs to fix it, even India needs to fix it. A lot of fluff - I actually didn't hear anything in that speech that we were going to do - did I miss it?

Eclipses traditionally portend disaster. Let's hope not.

On NPR they said it's likely we're sending 4000 additional trainers. Not sure how that comports with the part about killing terrorists and not nation building. But i'm sure his badese loved that line.

Yppej
    He is committing to a troop increase but being vague about it, stating he will defer to whatever the generals think is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    It was an interesting speech - basically I heard Afghanistan needs to fix it, Pakistan needs to fix it, even India needs to fix it. A lot of fluff - I actually didn't hear anything in that speech that we were going to do - did I miss it?

Eclipses traditionally portend disaster. Let's hope not.
    That is what I heard too. I did not hear anything about the US fixing Afghanistan, rebuilding Afghanistan or making Afghanistan great again (was it?). I didn't know about the eclipse part but, yes, lets hope not.

I'm slightly eased that he's leaving the war mongering to his Generals, just hoping they use that power wisely

I didn't even listen to him. He's such a con-artist, it seemed like such a waste of time to even watch it, so I didn't. I, too, am slightly eased that he has a couple people around him who are more reasonable than he will ever be.

I liked most of what I heard. No deadlines or red lines that would need to be walked back or denied later. No micromanaging commanders in the field for political purposes. I liked that he showed enough humility to say he had changed his mind from his campaign position.

I thought it was one of his better speeches.

There has to be something in it for him--maybe a kickback from all the plundered minerals...

For God's sake, can't we give the rest of the world a break? We're not the only country (by a mile) that is dealing with terrorist attacks. I say ramp up our intelligence--maybe we can even squelch Russian incursions into our political process if we do. Afghanistan is unwinnable and not worth a single life. Ass.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I thought it was one of his better speeches.
    Indeed. He stuck to the script, and as a result sounded competent. Admittedly a low bar. But to paraphrase Rumsfeld, "As you know, you get presidented by the president you have, not the president you might want or wish to have at a later time."

Thread Information