Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Trump's visit very stressful.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    You shouldn't. Most people will believe or reject any narrative based upon their personal feelings. A smart person will question all.
    I disagree. I have seen enough illegal actions engaged in by American police in my lifetime that they have earned permanent distrust from me as a thinking person. My take is that I would need an attorney present even in a non-confrontational social situation with an officer off duty wishing to discuss something as benign as the weather - I still would need the situation filmed for protection and an attorney present before I would speak of something as innocent as the weather to an out of uniform, off duty officer. The police have earned this as a far as I am concerned and my take of self preservation is sane, sound, and simply practical behavior given the givens.

Don't see it this way? Then please explain the actions of Minneapolis, MN police officer Noor, who gunned down a 40 year old Australian National named Justine Damond for no justifiable reason whatsoever. I have no death wish and therefore would need any interaction with police recorded and to have an attorney present at city expense. And yes, America has sunk to this - and for the lower classes, this is nothing new - America has been like this for years. It's just now coming to light with smartphone video showing the world what American police truly are all about and how the rule of law means nothing for American police officers. At least the world is seeing what America is truly about now - for this one thing I am very grateful. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I disagree. I have seen enough illegal actions engaged in by American police in my lifetime that they have earned permanent distrust from me as a thinking person. My take is that I would need an attorney present even in a non-confrontational social situation with an officer off duty wishing to discuss something as benign as the weather - I still would need the situation filmed for protection and an attorney present before I would speak of something as innocent as the weather to an out of uniform, off duty officer. The police have earned this as a far as I am concerned and my take of self preservation is sane, sound, and simply practical behavior given the givens. Don't see it this way? Then please explain the actions of Minneapolis, MN police officer Noor, who gunned down a 40 year old Australian National named Justine Damond for no justifiable reason whatsoever. I have no death wish and therefore would need any interaction with police recorded and to have an attorney present at city expense. And yes, America has sunk to this - and for the lower classes, this is nothing new - America has been like this for years. It's just now coming to light with smartphone video showing the world what American police truly are all about and how the rule of law means nothing for American police officers. At least the world is seeing what America is truly about now - for this one thing I am very grateful. Rob
    On a scale of 1 to 10 I'll give that a 5. Entertaining but overly dramatic.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    I'm sorry that you're feeling stressed out and sick. (((((hugs)))))

You don't have to feel guilty or apologize for not participating in the protest. I understand that it might feel uncomfortable if you're friends and neighbors perceive that as a betrayal to their situation. It might make you feel that they will believe you don't support them after all. Which is not true. I think the best you can do is communicate your fears for possible danger and explain that you don't think it wise to attend. And then focus on whatever you need to do to feel calm while your husband works the event. I think going to the church is a great idea.

Try to remember that we can be active and effective in many different ways. With your command of the language and your writing skills, you can write letters to elected officials that probably many of your friends and neighbors cannot. You might use your time at church today to think of ways that you can advocate for your community with the skills and advantages you have. For example, each time you write a letter to an elected official, you can include signatures of support from your community to make them feel included and supported.

Sending good thoughts your way and hoping your husband will be safe. I can imagine that having him there at the event would be very stressful and anxiety-producing. You love him and want him to be safe. That's completely understandable.
    Geila, Thank You for your kind post, I really do appreciate it. And I believe you have a good point - there are other ways to try to effect change other than protesting. I have often thought that I should be using my writing skills in some way to agitate for positive change - Thanks for that reminder!

I went to mass the morning after Trump's visit and lit four candles out of gratitude that drama of the magnitude I was fearing did not take place, and it was very comforting to me to be there. Thank You also for your understanding of how worried I was for my husband - it was very trying for me to have him be there right in the midst of everything and all I can say is even though he's going to get a huge check for the hours we worked that day at a one time wage of $25 an hour - I'd rather he stayed home anyway.....some things are more important than money to me, and this is one of them. I'm just very relieved that Trump has come and gone with minimal drama and minimal damage. Thanks again for your kind support, appreciated as always! Rob

On a scale of 1 to 10 I'll give that a 5. Entertaining but overly dramatic.
    Not if you'd had my life experiences and had witnessed police brutality take place right in front of you as I have. If anything, I'm being far too polite and holding back far too much in the light of the reality of American police and how those beneath the middle class are treated by law enforcement in the US. It's not easy holding back when the truth is so obvious and so evident and so many people refuse to see.....give me some credit please for not being more real and more direct. Rob

I'm sure the police would just as well stay out of the 85006 as well. Can't your community get together and tell the law enforcement people to stay away? I'm sure that would make everyone happy.

Not if you'd had my life experiences and had witnessed police brutality take place right in front of you as I have. If anything, I'm being far too polite and holding back far too much in the light of the reality of American police and how those beneath the middle class are treated by law enforcement in the US. It's not easy holding back when the truth is so obvious and so evident and so many people refuse to see.....give me some credit please for not being more real and more direct. Rob
    i still thing you need counseling.

Do they represent the 85006? I hear it takes a certain amount of street cred to be popular there.
    No street cred needed. Just an ability to see and deal in reality. That's all that's required by the residents of the 85006 - sad (a word Donald Trump likes to use) that such is so rare and difficult to find in elected officials.......Rob

No street cred needed. Just an ability to see and deal in reality. That's all that's required by the residents of the 85006 - sad (a word Donald Trump likes to use) that such is so rare and difficult to find in elected officials.......Rob
    Ahhh, from what you said earlier I thought the 85006 was a more discerning bunch.
    I believe it's just nerves from the stress of being looked down on for not going to the protest.....it's been hard to deal with 85006 social disapproval but one quirk of my personality is that when I have a hunch I go with it and social disapproval only makes me go with my hunches even more, and it doesn't matter where the social disapproval comes from - it can be lateral social class disapproval like in this case and I still don't yield.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Ahhh, from what you said earlier I thought the 85006 was a more discerning bunch.
    ? Not following you here, Alan, sorry.....Rob

? Not following you here, Alan, sorry.....Rob
    You expressed regret at the social disapproval from your fellow 85006ers for not attending the required protests, and now that disapproval apparently doesn't apply to politicians. It is hard to follow a paradox.

Thread Information