Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budget ceiling, disaster relief and wall funding

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar

Budget ceiling, disaster relief and wall funding

I generally don't watch too much TV, especially the news) but i have been watching flood updates. I imagine from what we have all seen, the amount of Money Texas (and possibly Louisiana depending on the storm) will need is staggering. Once Congress comes back on September 5 they only have about six weeks to address the budget ceiling. Add to that funds for the border wall (the one Mexico was going to pay for), disaster relief, and I see fireworks.

I don't imagine we will hear much about health care, despite going on eight years of promises to repeal and replace. This should be one of the most dramatic, emotionally charged times we have seen. One of the things that has been mentioned was the Texas Senators holding up the Sandy relief. They did it for a reason ( which you may or may not agree with) but they are really going to get a lot of abuse.

What at a mess. But a very important time.

Yes, it's a mess. And it's not a good feeling to not feel safe with people in charge.

I don't see how the fiscal conservatives are going to justify the expenses that are adding up. Not just the wall and the flood aid, but increases in military spending and infrastructure, and at the same time wanting to cut taxes.

Yppej
    With this president I think gridlock is a wonderful thing. The less he gets done the better, including giving properties back to the Russians so they can spy on us.

Does anyone want the wall? Is the US going to pay for that now? Guess my no tv and mostly stopped reading the news has left me in the dark. Yes Poor TX

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    Does anyone want the wall? Is the US going to pay for that now? Guess my no tv and mostly stopped reading the news has left me in the dark. Yes Poor TX
    Humans will find a way around or under it; migrating animals, not so much. The wall is just another symbol of failure, and will be an expensive boondoggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I don't see how the fiscal conservatives are going to justify the expenses that are adding up. Not just the wall and the flood aid, but increases in military spending and infrastructure, and at the same time wanting to cut taxes.
    Garrison Keillor had a great opinion piece in the Washington Post: "When Red States get the Blues."
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.37d013a1b046

They hate paying taxes (and in Houston's case, zoning laws) but they run to the federal government when disaster strikes.

What's the current size of the US military budget?

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    a lot. Over 600 billion dollars? Way more than any other country spends.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Out of total federal spending, 15.4% goes to Defense, 6.2% to interest on the debt, 70.5% to social spending and about 8% to everything else.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...tax-dollars-go

Thread Information