Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Wildfires and smoke

Seeing the maps makes me aware of the efforts required to gain control. My prayers are with all residents, travellers, firefighters and other support services and including all the little critters who have no understanding of what is happening in their natural world.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

The Carr Fire near Redding CA produced a "fire whirl" or "firenado" on July 26 between 7 PM and 8:30 PM. The pyrocumulus cloud of smoke had combusting gases (orange flames) at its vortex, and circular winds of 140 mph, the equivalent of an EF-3 tornado.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...28-story.html#

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    The Carr Fire near Redding CA produced a "fire whirl" or "firenado" on July 26 between 7 PM and 8:30 PM. The pyrocumulus cloud of smoke had combusting gases (orange flames) at its vortex, and circular winds of 140 mph, the equivalent of an EF-3 tornado.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...28-story.html#
    at least it's wasn't a sharknado ...

sorry, sorry, I know not funny
    Trees don't grow on money

Gardenarian, are you under a evacuation advisory? not sure if I'm reading OR fire maps correctly, such a huge area of southern Oregon is Red right now, maybe that's High fire danger? I know someone who drove the southern route (199) from Brookings on the coast to Grants Pass, still complaining of eyes and nose burning today from all of the smoke...

I have friends spending the day in Newport--not too far from Brookings. They didn't mention air quality.

I am so sorry for all you guys suffering with this. Please continue to keep us posted.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Jane, Newport is about 200 miles north of Brookings, 4+ hr drive. If they went from the north, they would not be impacted by the fires and smoke in the southern part of the state.

I think they just drive west (from Corvallis). I didn't realize Brookings was so far south.

More than 100 wildfires are burning in the US. For a current map of the fires in the US, Canada and Mexico, see
    https://www.ospo.noaa.gov/Products/land/hms.html

Hi,
    We are not very close to the fires, but the smoke funnels into the Rogue Valley. Then we have an inversion later that traps it here.

This has been the worst year for smoke here in history (last year was 2nd.) So far, 17 days of unhealthy air quality. It's hotter, dryer, and there are more lightning strikes than in the past. Climate chaos strikes again.

We had a change in wind direction yesterday (Yay!) and the next few days are expected to be somewhat better. I was actually able to see the stars (and a few meteors!) last night.

We have had a lot of experts on fire giving lectures and it has been a learning experience. My town does a lot of mitigation - controlled burns, brush clearing, and other prep. Our fire department is awesome.

Thread Information