Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Simple Rifle For Simple Times

A Simple Rifle For Simple Times

This is my new Sharps buffalo rifle. The Sharps rifle design dates from 1848, and in various forms, it served as a US service weapon for ages. The breech-loading falling-block action is fast and robust, and this was the "assault weapon" of its day. This is a copy of a Model 1874, which in original form fires a 45/70 Government cartridge, which will go through 8 inches of oak and a foot of wet sand at 3000 yards. The sights on the Sharps typically were high-tech-for-the-time contraptions that allowed for the rainbow-like trajectory required to hit anything at that distance. I shoot a full-sized one in competition, at ranges out to 1000 yards.

The problem is, the 45/70 costs about $1 a shot to fire. And it's really loud. And people don't like it when you destroy the backstops at their range with your antique black-powder assault weapon.

I've been waiting for this scaled-down model in .22LR to arrive for over two years now. It almost arrived last Monday, but the train it was coming on derailed!!!! It took them another day and a half to sort that out and get it out here. It seems to have survived the train wreck just fine.

This one is more suited to shooting smallbore metallic targets at more modest ranges, as well as varmint control. Or for dealing with buffalo that have gotten really damp and shrunk. It will cost only pennies to shoot.

General first impressions: Good overall workmanship. The fit of wood to metal is superb, the case-hardening of the lockwork is very well done. Double-set trigger is super good, lock-time is looong compared to a more modern weapon. Sights are quite useable, I plinked just a little on the way home and with CCI green-tag, accuracy was great, all the rounds went into the same hole at 50 yards, made a dime-size patch at 125 yards. Nice heavy octagonal barrel, perfect balance.

This'll put the fear of Buffalo Bill into all the space-age laser-and telescope-using race-gun guys at the next match.

Had to chuckle at this post. DH loves his weapons (some in my name as well) and when I remind him that he has not gone hunting for years and perhaps we can find new homes for these, I am reminded that the time is not yet. A beautiful weapon is a work of art in workmanship, ssn't it?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I have that same Tipton vise! Did you get yours from Midway?

nice boomstick btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Madsen View Post
    I have that same Tipton vise! Did you get yours from Midway?
    Exactly so. One of my main mail-order suppliers :-)

Mrs-M
    I love picture threads even if I'm not up on the topic. I showed my husband the pictures last night Bae and he said he'd love to add a rifle like that to his collection. I wish my husband would sign up as a member here to talk guy stuff like guns and things. It's his passion. My husband guessed that the stock is either made of walnut or beechwood, is he close?

Mrs-M
    Even though my husband said "no way", my guess is the wood is mahogany or oak.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs-M View Post
    Even though my husband said "no way", my guess is the wood is mahogany or oak.
    It looks very much like some sort of Walnut to me, but I'm Not A Wood Guy by any measure :-)

Mighty handsome. May all your varmints outrun it...

Mrs-M
    Question Bae (for my husband). Due to the salt content in the air (where you live), do you have to use any special cleaning and protectant agents to ensure the longevity of exposed metal parts?

Nope, regular gun care products seem to do the trick. I prefer the silicone-type products for exterior protection, they don't get so gummy and attract goo.

Thread Information