Page 54 of 58 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: Another school shooting, multiple fatalities

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    It's mind boggling that teachers will be expected to take up the slack when supposed trained professionals drop the ball. But they likely will have more of a vested interest in protecting their students.
    I'm not aware of anyone expecting teachers to take up the slack, I think the focus is on not denying them the opportunity.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I'm just waiting for the first "I felt threatened" excuse for a murder of a minority student with smartphone video backing the deceased student. Is there enough liability insurance coverage for school districts adopting the arming of instructors, given the inevitable lawsuits that will arise? And what of potential instructor imprisonment for pulling the trigger too fast? I seriously doubt all teachers would ever be guilty of such - but there will be a scattered few who are, and it seems as if this new law in Florida actively denies this reality.

Good thing constant muggy air and palm trees only work for me in countries with much more reasonable costs of living than the United States.......I have no desire to ever set foot in Florida, and less even now with this new law (Though to be fair right before the Noor verdict, a police officer was incarcerated in Florida for 25 years for murdering an innocent, unarmed African American male waiting for a toe truck in his vehicle, so Florida has made some concessions to the rule of law and human life meaning something as it does in other countries where there are checks and balances against the police). Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I'm just waiting for the first "I felt threatened" excuse for a murder of a minority student with smartphone video backing the deceased student.
    I hope you never get to feel that particular giddiness.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Having to live with doing nothing while kids are dying is not getting what he deserves by having to live with it. I am sure he didn’t commit a crime so no way to punish but it’s sickening.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I hope you never get to feel that particular giddiness.
    I didn't mean it that way, Alan. I too hope it never happens....I just don't discount the eventuality is all. There would be no giddiness for me in such a thing happening - I hope you understand this? Rob

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    So please tell us Alan, Toomuchstuff or anybody what is the solution? Please somebody come up with something.

How could we prevent the 30 school shootings this year? How can we prevent more?https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._United_States

who will pay for the armed teachers, perimeter security, and metal detectors that some have suggested? Our students already rank in the middle of the world pack as far as school rankings go in developed countries. Diverting funds that might possibly pay for math and reading teachers, updated textbooks etc?
    http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...-math-science/

what laws currently on the books are not being enforced as some have mentioned?
    imwrote this almost a year ago and no one has answered. Still the shootings go on.
    I live in Florida. It is easy to get concealed carry permits and firearms. I know many people who carry, and many more who have guns in their homes. I have never seen anyone with a gun out in public except in Alabama where a policeman had a gun aimed at a black man with his arms up who was then taken into custody. I have only heard opposition to the guns in school arguments. Counties are opting out. I imagine there are some people for it. I can only say a black teacher who is armed is going to need lots of thoughts and prayers that they are not assumed to be the active shooter. This is the south after all and the southern states have lots of guns and very high incarceration rates, especially blacks. Coincidence?

https://www.sentencingproject.org/th...set-option=SIR

imwrote this almost a year ago and no one has answered. Still the shootings go on.
    I don't know the answer, I wish I did.

I do feel strongly that the desire to deny citizens the means to an effective self defense by legislative means is the wrong answer, it's like eliminating capitalism by denying everyone the right to vote. I think it would help to teach people that right and wrong are not relative, that evil is evil and should not be tolerated, that every life is a blessing and should be cherished. We've gotten away from that.

Not being an intruder from Canada so much as asking in the interest of discussion, why the need for 'an effective means of self-defence'? What drives this need in the US?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I live in Florida. It is easy to get concealed carry permits and firearms. I know many people who carry, and many more who have guns in their homes. I have never seen anyone with a gun out in public except in Alabama where a policeman had a gun aimed at a black man with his arms up who was then taken into custody. I have only heard opposition to the guns in school arguments. Counties are opting out. I imagine there are some people for it. I can only say a black teacher who is armed is going to need lots of thoughts and prayers that they are not assumed to be the active shooter. This is the south after all and the southern states have lots of guns and very high incarceration rates, especially blacks. Coincidence?

https://www.sentencingproject.org/th...set-option=SIR
    Since most school shooters (all?) (like most terrorists in general) are white males, it shouldn't be a concern, but it probably is, lamentably.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Not being an intruder from Canada so much as asking in the interest of discussion, why the need for 'an effective means of self-defence'? What drives this need in the US?
    DH served on the Grand jury for three months, going to court several days a week. He heard mostly gun and drug cases.

He saw close up that all of the laws in the world do not keep the bad guys from getting, keeping, and using guns.The bad guys have guns. Why dont you ask them rather than the law abiding citizens on this website?

Thread Information