Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Irritation with local women news people

Another thing that I find weird is that some of the girls on the morning local news have Facebook pages open to everyone. One was a former beauty contest winner, and has pictures I wouldn't post for everyone to see.
    Here's the dress that the evening news woman had on. I figured out a way of cropping it so I leave out their faces. Like I said, I really like her, but I find the choice of dress weird. What's wrong with more conservative dress? Or is that "slutting" her?
    TV news woman.jpg

It seems silly clothes go right along with silly news--which particularly defines most local news, IMO.
    It's probably A-OK with their preferred demographic; they have stylists who push certain looks.

Remember Christine Craft, the newsreader who was famously told she was "too old, too ugly, and not deferential to men?" She wrote a book about her experience.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Another thing that I find weird is that some of the girls on the morning local news have Facebook pages open to everyone. One was a former beauty contest winner, and has pictures I wouldn't post for everyone to see.
    Here's the dress that the evening news woman had on. I figured out a way of cropping it so I leave out their faces. Like I said, I really like her, but I find the choice of dress weird. What's wrong with more conservative dress? Or is that "slutting" her?
    TV news woman.jpg
    Wow, I'm not crazy about the dress, mainly the color and fussy sleeves, but I would never call it revealing. It doesn't show any cleavage at all, so I don't see where it's 'low-cut' at all. The only exposed part is a small part of her arm. I remember how Michelle Obama was heavily criticized because she wore a sleeveless dress for one of the portraits. Craziness. I do always make fun of the fact that women on news shows always look like they're dressed up to go to a party, instead of being at work - not because the clothing is revealing or inappropriate, just that it's very Nice, the kind of dress that one would save for going out. But I don't think they have much control over that - it's media/cultural norms that dictate a lot of that. And they make a lot of money, so I can laugh all I want. I'm sure they don't care!

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    TV news woman.jpg
    I absolutely hate that fashion with the cut out sleeves. just last week I was thinking do we have to see that again this year? Surely it is out of fashion by now. So that said, I greatly dislike the woman’s cut out top, but it is fashion. It is Kmart fashion p, certainly not high fashion or classic fashion. But it is all over the place at least it was last year.

This bubblegum pink color makes it even more floofy and non-serious.

Yppej
    Suze Orman dressed like Rachel Maddow, but she is no longer on the air.

I remember Suze Orman always wearing metallic leather jackets and the like. I'm pretty sure both Orman and Maddow can dress to please themselves, unlike local anchors who are likely pretty heavily edited by their management and their stylists.

I love Nora O'Donnel on CBS news in the mornings, but she's worn something with the open shoulders too. Yeah, I imagine they get told what to wear, for the most part, but you'd think such a highly-paid anchor would have a say. Like Yppej suggested.....I wonder how it would go if men dressed in a similar sexy manner.......... People would say WTF? How about a shirt opened half way down with their chest showing, and a big medallion. Yeah....that's it.
    I think when they dress in a "sexy" way, it takes away from their perceived competence.

I do prefer gravitas with my news, for the most part. That includes dressing like an adult.

Emotionally, I have the same reaction as the original poster. Intellectually, I agree with the links that Bae posted.

I am conflicted.

Local news is at least generally accurate as far as it goes (it doesn't go that far) even if disproportionately focused on lurid crimes etc... That's a lot more that can be said for a lot of the propaganda out there. Of course if I'm checking out local news it's usually A.M. radio (not right-wing radio and not NPR, but you know the local news station). There are also newspapers of course.

The news anchors, well they will be out of a job before 40. That's what it's like when you are paid for your looks. Of course that's all jobs to a degree, but some much more than others.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information