Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When we have to let go of favorite plants in the garden... and we're not ready yet.

Geila

When we have to let go of favorite plants in the garden... and we're not ready yet.

I just spent over an hour enjoying my favorite simple pleasure: watering the garden by hand. And was reminded yet again that it's time to let my roses go. Our garden has changed over the years and the roses don't have the right growing conditions anymore. I will write some more later, but for now I just wanted to publicly witness this sadness and feeling of loss at the thought of digging up all of my beautiful roses.

I feel for you and the roses. I too have a terrible issue pulling any of my beauties. All the volunteers that I really did not plant but they joined the garden. I still have to work at pulling out the assorted ones that grew between the pavers. Once a year or so I do that sad job.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Geila
    Oh, what a beautiful garden, BikingLady! Thank you for sharing. I bet you get lots of bees and butterflies. We have moved to a more woodland feel to create shade because we don't have A/C and we've also added lots of evergreens to make it a year-round garden to enjoy in the winter. But I miss the full-sun plantings like you have. The roses are the last ones. I planted a bunch of old-fashioned David Austin for fragrance and charm and I'm going to miss them so much. But we have a small city lot and just don't have a good spot for them anymore. So sad.

bL, your yarrow is so pretty! Here it gets old fast due to hot weather.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-14-17 at 7:46am.

Great picture, Biking Lady! I miss my echinacea and rudbeckia and phlox, but now we can only grow things groundhogs don't like to eat. So developing this new area of expertise, trying to look at the bright side. I'll try to get some pictures posted as well.

The house we just bought has beds full of roses of which I know nothing. Pinks, reds, corals, maroons. I guess they get woody when they are old? Thus far, they have bloomed and bloomed so I will keep dead-heading and see what happens. Not sure what to do with all the poppies though as they look spent but for some new blossoms near the base. Back in TX, just about everything was dead by now so I was used to cutting it back. I didn't mind cause I knew all the perennials would come back in the fall.

I know how you feel, Geila! We just had to dig up a dead rose bush yesterday! It's been in our front garden for years and years, but last year we noticed it was diseased: it started growing these monster thorns. We pruned off the bad parts and waited a year, but we had to get rid of it. I agree.. so sad to see plants die.

Similarly, when people hire tree guys to take down trees in the neighborhood, I can't listen. I have to hide away in my office and put on music. The sound of the trees being murdered and destroyed is too much for me.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Oh catherine, that is too bad! I cant imagine being that bothered by tree removal. DH used to work for a tree mirdering company. But they also treat trees for better health, so there's that.

We are trying to murder a tree on our parkng. It has become old and unhealthy. The city came by and put a big orange X on it, but so far they have not cut it.

I could not spin the picture. That is my road garden and the point was how filled it is, because I can not pull and toss! The one side of the house I have filled with mints of assorted varieties, I can stand there for a long time watching the bees, honey bees, bumbles and everything else.

While the post about trees are happening, MY peeve is something I had never seen till TN a few years ago. The chopping off the tops of old established trees. OMG the horror of it. I read the TN Agricultural dept release while I was there, asking people not to do this. Here in MI I have only seen this once at a home in the next city, the large trees did not return this year it was way to much for them I can't even look at the home when I drive by, I figure the owners must have been from TN or something.

I can not figure out how to spin this. I love this little cement boat with Hen and chicks. MY joke is my ship hit the rocks in this city, neighbors all know what it means!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information