Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: When minority ideologies collide

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    The mom was holding a gun to her own head and not at the police. No reason to shoot the daughter or mom. This type of crap has happened a lot here. Then one day I see a young man crossing the street and a cop is on the corner and comes up behind him and shoves into a wall. Innocent people who call the police for help end up getting shot here. When I lived in other states I never saw this type of thing.
    I realize that having not been a teacher in a public school system leaves me naive and ignorant about some of the difficulties of that profession and as well, I hope you will realize that your perspective lacks knowledge and experience in the law enforcement realm.

So I will say this. I have on more than "one" occasion confronted a suicidal subject. Some armed with a handgun, some with a long rifle, some with a knife, even a machete and one holding a baby with a carpenters hammer. There is only one thing predictable and that is they are unpredictable.

It takes a skilled negotiator to find common ground and a patient one to wait them out. But sometimes waiting is not an option. Take your finger and point it at your head and then point it away from you in a split second. That is all the longer it takes for a police officer to become a shooting victim. A long rifle is a fearful weapon. There are few places to take cover that will protect you. A knife wielding subject can close the gap in seconds.

I believe the news report I read, if it was Sparks, Nevada.....said the subject had already discharged rounds from her gun. I don't know specifics and only those directly involved in the investigation do. So we should agree that speaking of groups with categorical pejoratives is counterproductive. Like in ...all welfare recipients are lazy. And all cops are trigger happy.

The mom was holding a gun to her own head and not at the police. No reason to shoot the daughter or mom. This type of crap has happened a lot here. Then one day I see a young man crossing the street and a cop is on the corner and comes up behind him and shoves into a wall. Innocent people who call the police for help end up getting shot here. When I lived in other states I never saw this type of thing.
    There's generally a lot more detail in this type of story, detail that is important to understanding. The narrative that police are going around shooting people is silly, although I guess it serves a purpose in some odd, mis-guided way.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I read all the news articles on these types of incidents. The city has been paying out a lot of $ on these incidents after they get sued by the families but it has not seemed to slow it down.

I read all the news articles on these types of incidents. The city has been paying out a lot of $ on these incidents after they get sued by the families but it has not seemed to slow it down.

Why would it?
    Your discussing a lottery phenomenon. No matter if your in the right, the only way to stop it is to tie up people for years, and spend a LOT of money to get to and through a trial stage. If your a victim, you don't have that. If your the city, you know you tie up police, attorney's, city spokesman, etc. etc for a long time and it is cheaper to settle, even when your in the right.
    So more who are actually not deserving, get an ambulance chaser to go after the cities.

As a society we have gotten into a vicious cycle. Cops were targeted by nut jobs and killed for no reason. It became a lot more dangerous to pursue this profession. I think they are more on edge because of this and less likely therefore to ask questions first and then shoot. I also think that the job takes a serious toll on people and due to the terrible things they frequently see they become more callous. I also believe that black men are targeted and feared. I know there is a lot of black on black crime too. I doubt that anyone that has received a bunch of $ for losing someone is rejoicing because they are rich. I would rather have my family member.

Thread Information