Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 60 minutes show on sugar

I watched it, and had read the news on this a few months ago. Here is an older summary of Lustig's work and recommendations:
    http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2009/06/818...ose-sugar-diet

"Lustig prescribes four simple guidelines for parents coping with kids who are too heavy:

Get rid of every sugared liquid in the house. Kids should drink only water and milk.
    Provide carbohydrates associated with fiber.
    Wait 20 minutes before serving second portions.
    Have kids buy their “screen time” minute-for-minute with physical activity.

Fructose is abundant in fruit. Fruit is fine, Lustig says, but we should think twice before drinking juice or feeding it to our kids. The fiber in whole fruit contributes to a sense of fullness. Lustig says it is rare to see a child eat more than one orange, but it is common for kids to consume much more sugar and calories as orange juice.

Eating fiber also results in less carbohydrate being absorbed in the gut, Lustig notes. In addition, he says, fiber consumption allows the brain to receive a satiety signal sooner than it would otherwise, so we stop eating sooner.

Exercise burns only a modest amount of calories, Lustig notes. But it does have other benefits. Exercise improves insulin sensitivity in skeletal muscle, lowering insulin levels in the bloodstream. Exercise reduces stress and, therefore, reduces stress-induced eating, according to Lustig. Lastly, exercise increases metabolic rate.

The directive to balance active play with computer, video and TV time is the most difficult one to comply with, Lustig says. But failure to limit sugar intake appears to be the most predictive of poor weight control in children, he adds."

The research result that sugar is a primary food for many tumors was also discussed in the book Anticancer by David Servan-Schreiber. If you look through pubmed, there are articles going back at least to 2002 that indicate an increased risk of CHD due to sugars... and if you read the articles, you can see why it is so difficult to isolate dietary factors in disease. In one i read, a "low-sugar" diet was compared to a "high-sugar diet." But the breakfast in the "low-sugar" option consisted of orange juice, wheat flakes, and dairy milk - all containing various sugars, just not sucrose (although there is probably some sucrose in the flakes, too).

More recently, this was published:
    http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/n...rt-risk?page=2
    "Men Who Drank 1 Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Daily Had 20% Higher Risk of Heart Disease Than Non-Drinkers... [factors include:] increased body weight, an immediate effect [of drinking sugar-sweetened beverages]. The second thing is blood lipids. It increases triglycerides and decreases HDL...The drinks also increase inflammatory indicators linked with heart disease, he says, such as C-reactive protein. That has been found, he says, not only in his study but also in several others."

Mrs-M
    I missed the special, but thanks to you Rogar, I just finished watching it. Very enjoyable. I've been slowly (but surely) reducing my sugar intake, and so glad I am. I remember having a conversation with someone (a few years back) related to sugar, and her words to me were, "sugar is a killer". I never thought much of it at the time, but it's pretty hard looking past all the evidence and findings that are starting to surface, and at such an alarming rate.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    If man made it don't eat it ..... but what about if BEES made it? (ok been enjoying some honey recently)
    If I remember correctly, the guy said there really isn't any difference between HFCS and other simple sugars, which I assume includes not only cane sugar but honey and syrups like maple syrup ( which I LOVE on oatmeal). Looking back to the fatty cheese burger discoveries in the 70's to present day, it seems like it has been a pretty wild ride finding the best diet. Between the 60 minutes show and everything else out there, I'm pretty convinced that sugar isn't just the next trendy "devil" food out there, but a real health issue. I almost wonder if the next shoe to drop will be highly processed carbs like white flour.

Michael Pollan's guidelines make sense to me...

Don't eat anything your great grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. "When you pick up that box of portable yogurt tubes, or eat something with 15 ingredients you can't pronounce, ask yourself, "What are those things doing there?" Pollan says.

Don’t eat anything with more than five ingredients, or ingredients you can't pronounce.

Stay out of the middle of the supermarket; shop on the perimeter of the store. Real food tends to be on the outer edge of the store near the loading docks, where it can be replaced with fresh foods when it goes bad.

Don't eat anything that won't eventually rot. "There are exceptions -- honey -- but as a rule, things like Twinkies that never go bad aren't food," Pollan says.

It is not just what you eat but how you eat. "Always leave the table a little hungry," Pollan says. "Many cultures have rules that you stop eating before you are full. In Japan, they say eat until you are four-fifths full. Islamic culture has a similar rule, and in German culture they say, 'Tie off the sack before it's full.'"

Families traditionally ate together, around a table and not a TV, at regular meal times. It's a good tradition. Enjoy meals with the people you love. "Remember when eating between meals felt wrong?" Pollan asks.

Don't buy food where you buy your gasoline. In the U.S., 20% of food is eaten in the car.

The funny thing is I recall my grandparents eating tons of sugar in the baked good they routinely made - pies, cakes, preserves, etc. yet they all died in their 80s and 90s. It was considered normal to have some sort of dessert with supper and I don't think diabetes was a very common disease back then.

People used to work their butts off! Not like me who spends waaaay too much time on the computer and watching tv. Day to day life I think was more arduous. Does anyone else agree??

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    The funny thing is I recall my grandparents eating tons of sugar in the baked good they routinely made - pies, cakes, preserves, etc. yet they all died in their 80s and 90s. It was considered normal to have some sort of dessert with supper and I don't think diabetes was a very common disease back then.
    That's exactly what I think. Our great grandmothers would most certainly recognize sugar.

I don't know that they ate "tons" of it though, since it was a precious commodity. Certainly they were not sedentary. Their intake of fat was high, too--but their lifestyle wore it off of them.

Sugar is not The Devil. The thing about little kids sipping fruit juices 16 hours a day has been out there for years, everyone should know by now that's wrong.
    Last edited by iris lily; 4-4-12 at 12:02am.

Well, I was curious and looked it up. In 1915, about the time my grand parents were young folks, the national average sugar consumption per person was 15 or 20 pounds. They did indeed live into their eighties. In 1967 it was about 100 pounds per person. In 2003 it was close to 150 pounds per person. I think the 60 minutes and other studies use controlled test methods and modern medical analytic techniques and focus not only on soft drink mania as other forms of sugar consumption. They do say that within limits it isn't a problem. Though soft drinks are an obvious big culprit. HFCS has become so cheap it is in a lot of things you wouldn't expect, like bread and peanut butter
    Last edited by Rogar; 4-3-12 at 8:14pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Though soft drinks are an obvious big culprit. HFCS has become so cheap it is in a lot of things you wouldn't expect, like bread and peanut butter
    I gave up HFCS for Lent a couple of years ago and I literally had to learn how to cook. Now it's a little better, but at that time, there was literally nothing in the supermarket, aside from fresh produce and meat and fish, that didn't have HFCS in it. I had to hunt down bread from a local farm market because not one loaf of bread in the supermarket was HCFS-free. I had to make all my own "convenience" dishes like stuffing. I could not believe how ubiquitous it was.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I think the problems is multifold: sugar is in everything (look at tomato sauce, for instance!); people are eating more often and in larger quantity, and often when they're probably not hungry because its there sweet treats are no longer just treats but a matter of course. I recently saw somewhere a comparison of sugar levels in about 6 different prepared foods such as bread and cereal, from when they we;re introduced to today, and they had all increased. I myself find the sugar+fat combination to be very addictive, and I feel much better when I don't eat sugar.

I noticed a behavioral impact of sugar in my DD at a fairly young age, maybe 2 or 3. I know studies go both ways on this --- but I think it's because of the high level of sugar in the everyday diet of most kids. I think that if the background were reduced, the effect would be much more obvious -- and I wonder how many kids are receiving medications to control behavior when they just need to eat some real food for breakfast or lunch.

Thread Information