Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Now for this I will protest.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The Rule of Law is apparently quite elastic. Just ask "Sheriff Joe."
    BINGO! DIRECT SCORE for common sense! Laconic but yet gets the point across very well. Rob

People come here from Mexico because they do not have enough jobs and they are living in poverty. Also they do jobs that Americans do not want to do. We would have a labor shortage without them. They are desperate people wanting to feed their families. Easy to say come the right way when you are not the one with hungry kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    People come here from Mexico because they do not have enough jobs and they are living in poverty. Also they do jobs that Americans do not want to do. We would have a labor shortage without them. They are desperate people wanting to feed their families. Easy to say come the right way when you are not the one with hungry kids.
    And I think 20-some years ago, when many of our undocumented workers came here, the situation was even more desperate in Mexico, so I absolutely understand why so many braved la Migra, coyotes, and police brutality to cross the border, where work was available, to support their families.

Illegal is illegal. Mexico wouldn't be happy if Rob just went across the border and decided to stay without the proper documentation. They'd either throw his butt in jail or deport him. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

I'm also tired of hearing that they take the jobs that Americans don't want. Maybe if the pay was higher they would take the jobs. Or we pay them to much not to work and they aren't hungry enough themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Illegal is illegal. Mexico wouldn't be happy if Rob just went across the border and decided to stay without the proper documentation. They'd either throw his butt in jail or deport him. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
    Would they? I don't know the ins and outts of mexican law so mayne it's as tough as US law bit i tend ro doubt that it is. At least as long as someone is self sifficient.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Would they? I don't know the ins and outts of mexican law so mayne it's as tough as US law bit i tend ro doubt that it is. At least as long as someone is self sifficient.
    Tradd has a point. Mexico is a bit sticky with immigration law. It didn't used to be - in not long off days if you were American, no questions were asked as you were assumed to have money that the country desperately need you to spend. Now things have changed. Mexico is not the starving completely third world country it was 30 years ago. It has a growing middle class (unlike America!!!!!) and though some desperately poor remain, the percentage is not as high as it once was. Mexico is also sick of being bashed and treated poorly by the US and is now in the process of updating it's border. At Tijuana/San Yisidro, for example, as a US citizen, you have to show a passport and you are run for criminal background checks as Mexico is tired of hosting US fugitives after being bashed so much by the US. This POE is the only one doing this so far but the Mexican government is supposedly spreading this to all ports of entry over the next few years. Mexico is not quite the easy country to enter with no questions asked as it once was - the last time I crossed with my husband at Nogales, not only were our bags X-rayed but they were also searched - something fairly new. No passport check or questions asked to date, however. And the customs people were not nasty like US CBP is - it was so much more pleasant to deal with them than the fear of power tripping US CBP.....Rob

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The Rule of Law is apparently quite elastic. Just ask "Sheriff Joe."
    How so? Outside Rob's reality, no one is saying the pardon was illegal. Capricious and petty, certainly, but not illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    How so? Outside Rob's reality, no one is saying the pardon was illegal. Capricious and petty, certainly, but not illegal.
    I didn't say that the pardon was illegal per se - it's a new one as to date no President that I am aware of has stepped in to pardon someone before the criminal justice system was done with the person as was the case with the Arpaio pardon. I find this very scary as it seems to be a ticket out for well connected criminals - I'm worried a precedent will be set but at least by accepting this pardon Arpaio has confirmed his guilt. I'd agree this pardon was capricious and petty and I'd go so far as dangerous to the functioning of society too but illegal....that needs to be determined by the courts. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I didn't say that the pardon was illegal per se - it's a new one as to date no President that I am aware of has stepped in to pardon someone before the criminal justice system was done with the person as was the case with the Arpaio pardon. I find this very scary as it seems to be a ticket out for well connected criminals - I'm worried a precedent will be set but at least by accepting this pardon Arpaio has confirmed his guilt. I'd agree this pardon was capricious and petty and I'd go so far as dangerous to the functioning of society too but illegal....that needs to be determined by the courts. Rob
    What does "done with the person" mean? The appeals process? Some sort of ritual humiliation?

Thread Information