Page 33 of 58 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Another school shooting, multiple fatalities

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    It’s against the law now for felons to buy a gun, also mentally ill. I’ve also purchased guns at a gun show, but still had to go thru a background check, same as with buying over the internet. Guns must be shipped to a FFL holder and he runs the background check.

There are plenty of laws now on the books, why not enforce them. Who do more laws impact? Just the law abiding.
    Are guns sold in the internet? How are checks done?

I’m guessing gun and ammo sales will start going up again. Time for me to start stocking up on powder and primers.
    Why do you need more? What is possibly going to happen that you need to stock up. I see only a few fringes calls for banning or taking away law abiding citizens guns. Is Trump going to mobilize the national guard to go door to door and take your guns? Are you suddenly going to have to hunker down in your home and fend off huge mobs of crazed anti gun activists? I actually know people who said if Obama was elected for a second term he would declare martial law and confiscate everyone’s gun. Where do these ideas come from? I don’t get it.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Why do you need more? What is possibly going to happen that you need to stock up. I see only a few fringes calls for banning or taking away law abiding citizens guns. Is Trump going to mobilize the national guard to go door to door and take your guns? Are you suddenly going to have to hunker down in your home and fend off huge mobs of crazed anti gun activists? I actually know people who said if Obama was elected for a second term he would declare martial law and confiscate everyone’s gun. Where do these ideas come from? I don’t get it.
    I shoot sporting clays. It’s very challenging and I enjoy it. Currently my friends and I compete in around 3 or 4 tournaments a month. And we get together around twice a week for practice. These are shotgun events and there are also sub guage events. So you can compete with a 12, 20, 28, or 410 gauge shotgun. I have a 28 guage on the way. I already have the others.

I also like to go to the range and shoot pistol and rifle. This is just bullseye shooting and I’m just competing against myself, and a few friends. It’s also challenging and I enjoy it also.

So why stock up? I shoot 1000’s of rounds a year. When people start hearing about bullet bans, gun bans, taxes, or other infringements, they start hoarding. Then this causes supply problems, it was hard to get powder a few years ago, and 22 shells, and other ammo.

Since i I reload, and it’s cheaper to buy quantities in the thousands, I do.

Are guns sold in the internet? How are checks done?
    The gun has to be sent to a FFL holder. They require a 4473 and background check. Same as if you bought it in a local store. I’m pretty sure you can’t mail a gun to anyone but a manufacture or FFL. Anytime a gun is sold and shipped thru the mail it requires the same background check that the state it’s being shipped to requires.

Guns can be advertised on the internet and sold locally. Then you would meet face to face and sell.

I shoot sporting clays. It’s very challenging and I enjoy it. Currently my friends and I compete in around 3 or 4 tournaments a month. And we get together around twice a week for practice. These are shotgun events and there are also sub guage events. So you can compete with a 12, 20, 28, or 410 gauge shotgun. I have a 28 guage on the way. I already have the others.

I also like to go to the range and shoot pistol and rifle. This is just bullseye shooting and I’m just competing against myself, and a few friends. It’s also challenging and I enjoy it also.

So why stock up? I shoot 1000’s of rounds a year. When people start hearing about bullet bans, gun bans, taxes, or other infringements, they start hoarding. Then this causes supply problems, it was hard to get powder a few years ago, and 22 shells, and other ammo.

Since i I reload, and it’s cheaper to buy quantities in the thousands, I do.
    makes perfect sense. The people I knew who were stocking up were preparing for government takeover. I assume the type of weapons you talk about are not the kind that someone would use to shoot from a windo into a crowded concert or gun down a classroom of children?

makes perfect sense. The people I knew who were stocking up were preparing for government takeover. I assume the type of weapons you talk about are not the kind that someone would use to shoot from a windo into a crowded concert or gun down a classroom of children?
    The Germans wanted to ban these shotguns for use in war. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_1897

So im sure that if there is a will, there is a way for someone to kill if they chose. They will find a tool to get the job done.

When I was seriously into competitive target shooting, I could go through 1000 rounds of ammunition a week. These days, I may go through that in a month.

When engaged in National Match events, I used an M1 Garand sold to me by the US Army, quite arguably a “weapon of war” as it had been used in war. And I fired ammunition the US Army sold me by the crate. (They still do this, btw...) I also used an M1A and an AR15. And a M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle. These are or were all military-issue firearms.

The gun has to be sent to a FFL holder. They require a 4473 and background check. Same as if you bought it in a local store. I’m pretty sure you can’t mail a gun to anyone but a manufacture or FFL. Anytime a gun is sold and shipped thru the mail it requires the same background check that the state it’s being shipped to requires.

Guns can be advertised on the internet and sold locally. Then you would meet face to face and sell.
    Bit more to it then that.
    From USPS site:

432.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Except under 431.2, unloaded rifles and shotguns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing. The following conditions also apply:
    Subject to state, territory, or district regulations, rifles and shotguns may be mailed without restriction when intended for delivery within the same state of mailing. These items must:
    Bear a “Return Service Requested” endorsement.
    Be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
    A rifle or shotgun owned by a non-FFL may be mailed outside the owner‘s state of residence by the owner to himself or herself, in care of another person in the other state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. These mailpieces must:
    Be addressed to the owner.

Include the “in the care of” endorsement immediately preceding the name of the applicable temporary custodian.
    Be opened by the rifle or shotgun owner only.
    Be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
    Mailing of rifles and shotguns between licensed FFL dealers, manufacturers, or importers are not restricted. The Postal Service recommends that these items be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
    Rifles and shotguns may be mailed by a non-FFL owner domestically to a FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
    Except as described in 432.3a, licensed curio and relic collectors may mail firearms meeting the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 domestically to licensed FFL curio and relic collectors in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
    Firearms meeting the definition of a rifle or shotgun under 431.4 which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum, which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest, may be accepted for mailing without restriction when mailed between governmental museums.
    Air guns (see 431.6) that do not fall within the definition of firearms under 431.1a are mailable. A shipment containing an air gun with a muzzle velocity of 400 or more feet per second (fps) must include an adult signature service under DMM 503.8. Mailers must additionally comply with all applicable state and local regulations.

There are also some estate rules.
    Some links:

The “mail it to yourself” USPS regulation doesn’t “you can buy firearms on the Internet and ave them mailed to you”.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    The “mail it to yourself” USPS regulation doesn’t “you can buy firearms on the Internet and ave them mailed to you”.
    Correct, but I wanted to also make it clear about shipping already owned, or family owned/inherited firearms. Sorry for the confusion, been on 13 hour days this week and getting ready for another 6 of those.

Thread Information