Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Trumps budget

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    Wow I assumed this was a simple living board not a slam those that have money board.
    To be fair, the attitude has been tempered over the years but you still need a thick skin sometimes, especially if you're a white male, well-to-do, Republican. I think we're under-represented here because we spend all our time subjugating, moralizing, denying basic rights and celebrating when those beneath us die. That can often take all day.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I fail to see how pointing out that people don't succeed entirely of their own effort is slamming people with money. if our society and our wealth and our government and infrastructure didn't have a role in helping people succeed there would be just as many success stories in poor countries like Haiti or any other third world country.

I'm disturbed by the cut in environmental programs on the Great Lakes. We get our water from the Great Lakes, but more than that, as a new diver who has been dreaming of Great Lakes shipwrecks for years, I now have the chance to dive them. I don't want the water quality diminished. Remember what happened off Ohio in Lake Erie within the past couple of years with all the algae or whatever it was that made water undrinkable for a while?

To be fair, the attitude has been tempered over the years but you still need a thick skin sometimes, especially if you're a white male, well-to-do, Republican. I think we're under-represented here because we spend all our time subjugating, moralizing, denying basic rights and celebrating when those beneath us die.
    or maybe you are simply wrong .
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    To be fair, the attitude has been tempered over the years but you still need a thick skin sometimes, especially if you're a white male, well-to-do, Republican. I think we're under-represented here because we spend all our time subjugating, moralizing, denying basic rights and celebrating when those beneath us die. That can often take all day.
    Alan, you are such a smart-ass! You crack me up sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    But your time is coming to an end, my pretty. Just you wait. You wont be able to tread on me much longer.

Last edited by iris lilies; 5-29-17 at 6:11pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I'm disturbed by the cut in environmental programs on the Great Lakes. We get our water from the Great Lakes, but more than that, as a new diver who has been dreaming of Great Lakes shipwrecks for years, I now have the chance to dive them. I don't want the water quality diminished. Remember what happened off Ohio in Lake Erie within the past couple of years with all the algae or whatever it was that made water undrinkable for a while?
    That's a shame.. And if the Great Barrier Reef is on your bucket list of dives, you better get there quick.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The GBF isn't on my bucket list.

Catherine: no I was not talking about your post but about others. ANM: the mother was not refusing help she was intellectually disabled (very low IQ) and had no clue she was starving her kids.

I suppose I may have been overly sarcastic in mocking status chasing and status maintenance (like saying "S.A.T. prep places were as thick as cockroaches"). That's all I can figure is the language got over the top since the main point seems to have been lost.

Not relying on anything and all that ... when my dad had me he was 52 years old, he gave me a hard time sometimes (and not in a joking way either) for not being self-supporting at age 16 like he was, but to do that I would have had to drop out of HIGH SCHOOL. And I didn't even learn of the existence of GEDs till after I had graduated high school, so it's not like he was *even* pushing that route. Being a high school drop out would have done me no good, as the job market for my generation had nothing to do with how it was 50 years ago! The world had changed radically by that point. Although no my dad even then NEVER made special standards for me because I was female (because I don't think people growing up poor like him had them), it was always whatever he did 50 years ago as a man, I should do now, but the problem is the world had changed in 50 years. So yes I find applying standards that predate the New Deal (even my dad wasn't exactly pre New Deal) to be ridiculous in the year 2017. And yes most people get lots of help.
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 5-30-17 at 1:44am.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information