Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Another War?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    So you think our military will deploy inside the USA on Trump's orders to impose martial law, or to keep him in power for an unconstitutional length of time?
    Do you see anyone in particular with the strength to oppose it? He's doing a dandy job of making sure the power players all over the board who won't gain from that move are simply acting stand-ins, and not appointed with any certainty or strength. Maybe Mike Pence will step in and stop him.

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    Do you see anyone in particular with the strength to oppose it?
    bae already provided the answer. The military itself would refuse unlawful orders to effect a coup.

I don't see that any of these hysterical fantasies have any reasonable possibility of occurring.

Curious what was so different in Germany then what is occurring now? The military is based on orders especially from the commander in chief.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    bae already provided the answer. The military itself would refuse unlawful orders to effect a coup.

I don't see that any of these hysterical fantasies have any reasonable possibility of occurring.
    But "the military itself" is at its core, people. Which person, exactly, is going to break the chain of command? FWIW I don't see this coup happening either, more because we're so enmeshed in bureaucratic protocol than due to any military rebellion. For once, ha ha, I'm in support of Big and the way it stands between people and change. ... i hope.

Again I ask: what form would this "martial law" take?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Curious what was so different in Germany then what is occurring now?
    Pretty much everything. Centuries of a different military culture. A traditional officer class to suborn and co-opt. A comprehensive police state to keep the officer corps in line. National humiliations to avenge. Terror of major external enemies. Certainly not the same level of economic desperation. Much less complex systems of communication and control.

Personally, I think invoking the Third Reich is generally resorted to when people lack any better argument.

I’m curious at this confidence that the military will do the ‘right’ thing. I assume the same people who are saying that would say that in the event of an impeachment the senate will do the ‘right’ thing. Judging from what I see in the news about the senate I question these people’s confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Have you not been paying attention to what he says?

]
    Yes. To both sides.

Yppej
    The major difference I see with Germany is the economy. My grandmother was living there when Hitler came to power and said the people saw him as being "like Jesus" because he was going to save them from the Great Depression.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Yes. To both sides.
    Then you are aware that he has said and done things that indicate that he wants to be a dictator and that he admires dictators. The only part of teacher terry’s post that is questionable, or a matter of opinion, is the adjective unhinged.

Thread Information