Thread: The Great Courses available for streaming

The Great Courses available for streaming

Years ago, someone on the initial SL site suggested the Great Courses when I complained about struggling to find a continuing education site. I bought and enjoyed a number and shared with friends.
    A recent catalogue shared the option of online streaming of 13,000 courses by college professors for a modest monthly charge in C$. No more DVD's to store, no shipping charges so I am in totally, signed up and loving it. I give myself an hour's treat each day choosing the course that twigs that day's interest. I love it!
    Sharing in case others might find this meets their need.
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=the+Great+...=v184-1&ia=web
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Great Courses are also available pretty inexpensively through Amazon Prime.

Libraries bought some of the Great Courses in audio formats, later video as well. My library had many titles. Probably they have streaming subscriptions now.

razz, I think it’s great that you found a source that is affordable to you, but check out the digital offerings of your library system too.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 6-1-21 at 7:25pm.

During the pandemic I came across this history of philosophy class from the 1990s by Arthur Holmes of Wheaton College. 81 one-hour lectures on Youtube (must have been a one-year course). He's a pretty good lecturer, and I found it a good refresher as I start my home-stretch study of Western thought.

Had a quick peak at the Holmes lecture. Looks interesting. One semester as I was completing my degree part-time at night after work, I took Philosophy 101. The Cont-Ed class included atheists, Bhuddist, Catholics, humanists, Baptists etc and half way through the semester, we all huddled together for support at break-time as everything we thought we knew and believed was called into question. The prof said this was the usual response. The group was all ages, backgrounds and quite diverse in nature but by the end of the semester, we all had regained our balance and no longer huddled for comfort. It was interesting to see happen. Did you feel somewhat disconnected at times as you worked through the course, Oldhat?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Did you feel somewhat disconnected at times as you worked through the course, Oldhat?
    No, never. The Holmes course was a mainstream class in Western European philosophy and didn't try to be anything else. You have to keep its limitations in mind, as I'm sure the instructor would have cautioned you. It also has a mild Christian bias (Wheaton is a Christian college), but overall it's very balanced.

Thread Information