Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PA court rules against privy for Amish

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    What percentage of the Amish run cruel puppy mills?
    I am sure it is a small percentage but it doesnt much matter when talking about the cruelest of the cruel in mills, and
    I dont want to look up anything about it since it will plant images in my head I wish to not have.

If talking about the overall worthiness of Amish as citizens vis a vis their crappers, I dont know where to stand.

One one hand, public health in our modern world calls for modern sewage and septic systems. What is that saying, oh yeah: engineers have contributed significantly more to the health of modern Western culture through waste systems than any group of physicians ever did.

But it is likely that the small number of Amish who expect to retain outhouses aren’t a high enough population to affect the overall health of the surrounding citizenry.

That reminds me, what do the Amish do about mandated vacinations? Do they participate in those programs?

DH has a relationship with Amish cabinet makers about 80 miles away. They were making cabinets for several of our
    neighbors, and DH helped Amish guys install them, letting them use his power tools. They like to use power tools when able to use them. We have visited their shop and they always treat DH well even if it has been a couple of years since they last saw him.

Did not know that about the puppy mills. That is terrible. Some things I like about Amish and Mennonite traditions (varies according to group) and some I dislike very much.

There really is no universal Amish code / set of rules. The decisions are made by each individual governing bishop. Therefore, what is allowed in one place may not be elsewhere.

There are both similarities and differences between Amish and Mennonite followers. Generally, Mennonite are more "worldly" and allow more of the progressive stuff - electricity, phones, cars, etc.

As for the topic at hand - I don't see it as particularly excluding the Amish, but I may be wrong. It seems to be a location / jurisdiction issue to me. Anyone living there must accommodate this situation and hook up.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I just think anyone should be able to have a privy in their back yard. It didn't take anything but a few decades of "progress" to render simple ways to manage natural functions as not only obsolete, but illegal. Silly. this isn't the Ganges. This is rural PA.
    It isn't Alabama, either.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...-to-california

They are now dealing with hookworm because of lax sanitation there

Mennonite rum the gamit from dressing their women like "Little House on the prairie" to churches with feminist gay-married female pastors. I was raised Mennonite. I looked and lived just like everyone else in my community, except we didn't go to dances or drink alcohol. We were somewhere in the middle of the gamit..

Mennonite but especially Amish have a common ancestry/geneology that does define the culture. So just as much cultural traditions as religious.

Yes - I'm culturally Mennonite even though I'm agnostic.

One thing that is related to the cultural/religious Menno background, that seems to be carried on even by non-religious Mennos, is the pacifism ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Yes - I'm culturally Mennonite even though I'm agnostic.

The court can order them to do it, but they cannot force them to use it. Where I live, they require a septic system to be put in. I did not want one but we put it in so we would comply and get an occupancy approval but we have never used it. We use a sawdust toilet instead. It stinks that they have to use their own money to comply, however, the government does not have the right to go against their religious beliefs and all they have to do is comply and never use the electricity or septic system. It's as simple as that.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by enota View Post
    The court can order them to do it, but they cannot force them to use it. Where I live, they require a septic system to be put in. I did not want one but we put it in so we would comply and get an occupancy approval but we have never used it. We use a sawdust toilet instead. It stinks that they have to use their own money to comply, however, the government does not have the right to go against their religious beliefs and all they have to do is comply and never use the electricity or septic system. It's as simple as that.
    I will agree with you on one thing....the whole thing STINKS!

Thread Information