Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Here's some hope..........really truly some hope and I never thought I'd see this!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    While simultaneously relishing their status as victims of an oppressive United States, highlighting their plight and noble resistance in hopes of attracting a better offer from countries sorely in need of their presence.
    Haha! Yeah.

But I want to note: I like Rob and I think he and I would have a hell of fun time hanging out. I am flabbergasted at some things he says.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    While simultaneously relishing their status as victims of an oppressive United States, highlighting their plight and noble resistance in hopes of attracting a better offer from countries sorely in need of their presence.

All while missing clues and statements as they fly by their heads, with that giant whooshing sound.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I lived in "the 85006" for two years. There was nothing unique about it. In the theatre of Rob's imagination Phoenix is full of heroic figures taking on the forces of evil.
    Heroic figures? No just everyday people who have had their fill, that's all. As far as unique, I never said that my zip code was unique.....it's similar to many other lower income zip codes. The only thing the differentiates us is the intense climate here. Rob

I was just reading online and the name of the bill in California is The Police Accountability and Community Protection Act. I'm floored but in a good way. The name of this bill sums the issue up in a very clean and easily understandable way - the time is long overdue to hold the police accountable for their action with no excuses and no exceptions - and doing such does indeed protect our communities (at least lower income ones anyway, where police statistically tend to go overboard and break the laws and murder innocent civilians (who may indeed have prior criminal records but seem to be guilty of breaking no laws often around the times they are murdered).

This bill is no shoe-in to pass. Lobbyists and Police Unions (the latter I find the very definition of evil itself) are of course fighting against this bill tooth and nail as it would mean accountability for the police and of course the police are terrified of accountability - given the givens this is no surprise. I am aware that what I am about to type will not happen in the real world, ok? I get this. That said, in my perfect world? If this bill doesn't pass - there would be a citizenship buy out offer with the opportunity to start over elsewhere. Yes, I'm serious. Human life would be spared this way from overzealous US police officers with no regard for either the law or for human life.

Let's just hope that this bill passes. It would represent an honest effort to tackle a very ugly problem - the militarization of a police force that unfortunately employs some number of officers who are unfit for their roles due to no respect for operation within the confines of the law nor for human life. I also believe that when police are caught lying under oath there should be an immediate life sentence with no chance of parole nor to ever see the light of day again - this would at least pressure officers to drop the above the law BS they love to pull. I also believe that when officers illegally tell civilians that it is illegal to film them that this should also result in a life sentence for officers (provided there is proof of this on video) - to level the playing field and hold officers accountable to those they are supposed to be serving in the first place. Consider it a price tag to be worthy of a pension given too many instances of police murdering civilians for no real reason whatsoever.

I truly wish this country really did live up to the image it attempts to portray of itself and that sometime down the road when I am long gone that there will be no reason for a future Rob to type all of this.....I can hope anyway. Perhaps this bill in California is a good start - at least it's passage would cause activists across the country to try for it's passage in each and every state. Imagine living in a country where the police are held accountable for their penchant for murdering/beating/attacking (minorities especially) for the flimsiest of reasons if for any reason at all.........like in any other developed country where the police don't behave this way (and in a non-related point, you'd have socialized medicine, too - talk about respect for human life!!!!!).

We can hope anyway........I don't know when the vote on this bill is and I'm really curious so I think I'll call Sacramento tomorrow if i can squeeze it in. Rob

PS I came back to add that SB 1421 in California also allows public access to internal records of police misconduct - offenses by committed by the police that are recorded but swept under the rug with no real consequence - something that the public truly does need access to for reasons of reaching higher settlements against the police in cases of police lawbreaking and also a fodder for political asylum claims for those going that route.

I don't know if you'all are aware of this but some police departments employ software whereby when they pull up to your address, a threat score is run on you based on numerous factors. If the public could access internal information of police misconduct, perhaps we could have a threat score for our own use when we interact with a police officer - we deserve to know if there's been any instances of unstable behavior on record for a given officer so that we can gauge as civilians how at risk we are simply for an innocent interaction with a police officer. Rob
    Last edited by gimmethesimplelife; 4-8-18 at 10:19am.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah....
    All this repetitive typing could be better spent finding/moving to the country your happy with, since you are renouncing your citizenship.
    Don't forget things like the expatriation tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I lived in "the 85006" for two years. There was nothing unique about it. In the theatre of Rob's imagination Phoenix is full of heroic figures taking on the forces of evil.
    Maybe it's the aging reactionary in me, but it seems that as various other mediating factors unravel, too many of us have let the personal become political. Stripped of custom, tradition, faith, long term employment or professional or familial relationships, some of us are left with mere politics to view our world and our relationships. Strange little tribes, real or imaginary, get created to provide us with some sense of identity or belonging. Childhood trauma gets converted into a sense of political oppression and policy differences are viewed as moral differences. We signal virtue though opinion rather than demonstrate it through action.

It's sad, perhaps even tragic, but I'm not sure how we fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Maybe it's the aging reactionary in me, but it seems that as various other mediating factors unravel, too many of us have let the personal become political. Stripped of custom, tradition, faith, long term employment or professional or familial relationships, some of us are left with mere politics to view our world and our relationships. Strange little tribes, real or imaginary, get created to provide us with some sense of identity or belonging. Childhood trauma gets converted into a sense of political oppression and policy differences are viewed as moral differences. We signal virtue though opinion rather than demonstrate it through action.

It's sad, perhaps even tragic, but I'm not sure how we fix it.
    I've thought about your post here for a bit and I think you are not without a point regarding making the personal become political. I'll give you that much.

However, that does not change the fact that I live in an area in which I am vulnerable to police misdeeds. As I've stated before, I have white skin (nothing racial intended here) - a fact that does make me much less likely to be a victim of the police, true. Which brings up two points:

A). I am unable to look the other way when police break the laws and abuse persons of other races/nationalities, and

B). As to why this is such an unending big deal to me - I have much more to lose now than I did when I first arrived at this board in 2005. It is true that I don't engage in behaviors likely to arouse police attention, nor do I appear in dark alleys at 3 AM. However - this may reduce my risk but it does not completely eradicate my risk of being a victim of the police. And there is absolutely no justifiable reason why this risk should exist in the first place - such risk is completely inexcusable and America (nor any other country for that matter, to be fair) is worth accepting this risk. Nor should I have to move at my own expense to an area with reduced risk of becoming a victim of the police.

All that said,however, I actually do see some hope in the existence of this bill in California to reduce police ability to pull the trigger for no legal reason. More and more people are giving the middle finger salute to American police and demanding rights against the sociopathery that does exist in US police departments and this standing up for human rights? Get used to it - it's only going to intensify going forward. Imagine the message sent and the level of protests that will take place if this bill indeed does not pass and the State of California says to all it's residents that a price tag of living in California is being a potential victim of sociopathic police 24/7/365.....the protests of the 60's may very well have nothing on what California may unleash if Human Rights emerge non-victorious here.

I will call the governor's office tomorrow and ask as to the date of the vote on this bill as I have not been able to find the date online and no activists in my circle know the date, either. Will be interesting to see exactly how much or how little the Human Rights of innocent citizens mean in California - this is the moment of truth/acid test that shows the truth far beyond any nice sounding words or utter BS. We'll see.........Rob

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah....
    All this repetitive typing could be better spent finding/moving to the country your happy with, since you are renouncing your citizenship.
    Don't forget things like the expatriation tax.
    As I say to anyone who sides with the police in spite of mountains of evidence of police lying under sworn testimony and of police brutality/murders for no reason whatsoever......believe in the police at your own risk. I am not responsible for any potential consequences but.....I would engage in activism should you become a victim regardless. Rob

What is a citizenship buyout? Where has this ever taken place?

I can certainly see where many would gladly pay you for your US citizenship. But I’m not sure that’s an option.

And like many, I have a few very good friends that are policemen, or retired on fat pensions, and find your rants way over the top. They are very fine people and did a high risk and thankless to many job.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    As I say to anyone who sides with the police in spite of mountains of evidence of police lying under sworn testimony and of police brutality/murders for no reason whatsoever......believe in the police at your own risk. I am not responsible for any potential consequences but.....I would engage in activism should you become a victim regardless. Rob
    And 99.9% of the police would come to your aid if you were in need.

Thread Information