Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Sierra Club: To Have or Not to Have Children in the Age of Climate Change

Adoption through the foster care system costs nothing, daycare is free, Medicaid until age 18, and you get a stipend monthly (~500) until child is 18. My grandson was adopted this way. Money stops very few from adopting.

But wanting a straight from the hospital newborn healthy white baby with no fear that the foster situation will end with the birth family getting the child back us —- that is what stops people from adopting because that route is expensive. Foster to adopt has more uncertainty but it is not expensive and nearly all costs are covered.

And giving birth is also uncertain but we dont like to admit it. We like to feel in control of our lives.

My brother has a special needs child who spent his first 4 months in the hospital and nearly died many times. He continues with ongoing medical care at age 2.5 and it has cost millions I believe. Out of pocket is ~100,000 by this time.

Tammy, that’s interesting that in your state they have made it free. That probably encourages adoptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Tammy, that’s interesting that in your state they have made it free. That probably encourages adoptions.
    It has been my understanding that the only costs associated with adopting from the foster care system in any state are the initial fees for training materials to become a foster care provider and possible agency fees if you use a private agency to interact with the state child welfare agencies. I'd be curious to know what state expenses you've encountered?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Here is more info but it is necessary to really check each state. https://www.adopting.com/adoption-bl...adoption-costs

Here is more info but it is necessary to really check each state. https://www.adopting.com/adoption-bl...adoption-costs.

And please be aware that fostering most often means the baby will go back to the family or has a high chance of going back. This has been true for decades (happened to my in laws over 50 years ago.)

I have been out of child welfare for decades so much has changed it appears.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Here is more info but it is necessary to really check each state. https://www.adopting.com/adoption-bl...adoption-costs.

And please be aware that fostering most often means the baby will go back to the family or has a high chance of going back. This has been true for decades (happened to my in laws over 50 years ago.)
    Agree. However, I personally know two foster-adoptions of infants - again, many years ago - but it's not totally unheard of.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I have been out of child welfare for decades so much has changed it appears.
    You are right; there have been a lot of changes through the years and things are continuing to change.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Agree. However, I personally know two foster-adoptions of infants - again, many years ago - but it's not totally unheard of.
    I know of one last year. A friend of my wife fostered a drug addicted toddler and after a few months also fostered the toddlers newborn sister who was born in jail. They successfully adopted both girls within a year.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information