Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Will Trump behave himself at the G20 summit?

I don't think Occupy was marked by looting, either.

It's kind of like someone who is convinced all black people are looters. Is it worth wasting time arguing with them? Only if it was an honest mistake (they don't get out much or something and so kind of don't know anything). But it's usually not.

Now I question how *effective* much protesting is but ...
    Trees don't grow on money

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Bingo! Though I will say the one area where the Occupiers did not play nice in the sandbox.....they left a lot of garbage behind.....not especially good PR. Rob

The Occupy people I know, and yes, they still get together, although they have morphed into the Indivisible people, are staunch environmentalist plus Northern Michiganders, and they leave no trash, anywhere.

Bingo! Though I will say the one area where the Occupiers did not play nice in the sandbox.....they left a lot of garbage behind.....not especially good PR. Rob
    that's the stereotype (maybe some truth), about how messy Occupiers were (oh and smelly!), now I approached an Occupy encampment and it was indeed messy and filled with smelly people! And then I realized that wasn't really the encampment but just a park on the way there that was full of homeless people! (and no Occupiers right there because it wasn't the encampment).

Haha, that's your real urban realities there. Would anyone even notice Occupy litter in all the background litter? Part of the cleaning up thing is if one is made to evacuate in the middle of the night or whatever by the police, there isn't actually ANY TIME to clean up one's stuff. That is what happened with many Occupy encampments. Of course Occupy also did welcome actually seriously marginalized people like homeless as well.
    Trees don't grow on money

Protests are often infiltrated by the lawless--e.g. the anarchist groups that regularly show up. I suspect that there are paid (or not) provocateurs, too, who turn up just so the narrative can be set to "see, those violent hippies are at it again." Most of us who protest are resolutely peaceful. I was in an anti-war march in Seattle with 10,000 of my closest friends that was completely without incident. Also without influence, unfortunately.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    It's kind of like someone who is convinced all black people are looters. Is it worth wasting time arguing with them? Only if it was an honest mistake (they don't get out much or something and so kind of don't know anything). But it's usually not.

Now I question how *effective* much protesting is but ...
    ANM, I get your point and I agree as to is it worth arguing with such people in the first place.....One of the more interesting quirks in my personality is that I could care less what such people think of me - I stand up for my husband, my in-laws, my Mother, and the many folks I am privileged to know in the 85006 way before I stand up for myself. That was what this spat here between myself and other regular posters here was about, at least from my side of things. But I agree......I am not going to change minds here. It's hard not to stand up for others against injustice, though. Rob

Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate it) Diane never had any kids and most of her family was dead so really no one to help. Her DH had kids in the neighboring state. Finally the last 8 months they did help with him. I would want someone to help me if I was in that situation. Interestingly enough this couple doggy sat for us when they were well and the dogs all loved them. A week after Diane died my favorite dog died so I told her to go be with them. A few nights later they all appeared in my dream together.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    That's right.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate it) Diane never had any kids and most of her family was dead so really no one to help. Her DH had kids in the neighboring state. Finally the last 8 months they did help with him. I would want someone to help me if I was in that situation. Interestingly enough this couple doggy sat for us when they were well and the dogs all loved them. A week after Diane died my favorite dog died so I told her to go be with them. A few nights later they all appeared in my dream together.
    Oh, that is so nice, very encouraging to hear

Thread Information