Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Most Regrettable College Major in America

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Don't drop dead of shock, dmc, ok? I actually agree with you here and I believe that this is how employment should be. Rob
    So you are in favor of random drug testing of employees?

My English degree has served me very well.

If I had been born 4 years later, I probably would have been an architect, though. When I was in high school, the mechanical drawing and shop classes were still for boys only; when I got to college, I didn't have the prerequisites. That was before the 5-years to get a degree plan was at all acceptable: I couldn't fit in remedial classes and still graduate in 4 years, so I pursued English instead. All that changed in the high school when my sister was there 4 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Believe it or not, that's how the corporate world actually works, not as the restrictive example that excited you so.
    Actually the Megacorp that I just retired from has a type of "behavioral analysis" test that, along with drug testing, is a pre-requisite for candidates.
    You can have the right degree and work experience and be drug-free, but if you don't pass this test they have devised then you don't move forward in the selection process. The test is given at all levels. Welcome to the brave new world.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Actually the Megacorp that I just retired from has a type of "behavioral analysis" test that, along with drug testing, is a pre-requisite for candidates.
    You can have the right degree and work experience and be drug-free, but if you don't pass this test they have devised then you don't move forward in the selection process. The test is given at all levels. Welcome to the brave new world.
    And that's very much the corporate world I want no part of and am glad to be screened out of.......Rob

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    So you are in favor of random drug testing of employees?
    I was subject to "random" drug testing. I was never tested. A co-worker who seemed to have issues with supervisors....well, he was randomly drug tested quite frequently. I had to submit a letter notifying my supervisor anytime I was prescribed medication. If I failed to do so and was tested positive.....I would be fired. I was never in favor of it. Seems like one ought to exhibit cause for concern first.

And in regards to most regrettable college major.....and worthless....is criminal justice.

The random drug testing was required by the state in order to bid on state contracts. New hires were required to pass a drug test prior to being hired, if you failed, you were not hired. If you were already hired, you were required to have counseling, and then had to pass a test before you could return to work.

Starting pay 10 years ago was $25 per hour for a laborer plus benefits, so most figured it was worth being able to pass a drug test. I had more problems with new hires even though I told them they would be tested.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    And in regards to most regrettable college major.....and worthless....is criminal justice.
    I've heard the same thing from more than one cop. What's the problem with it?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Oddly enough, I have taught many, many, many returning adult students, and the criminal justice majors have one of the highest rates of plagiarism.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Totally a guess, but is it because theory is totally irrelevant in this field? You have to learn on the job out there in real-life situations?

I'm thinking of the movie Crash (great movie) where the young, idealistic new cop is partnered with the more jaded, maybe even less ethical, cop, Matt Dillon. That movie is so great at showing how problem solving in situations is never black and white, and your instincts are more important than the rules of the game.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have to watch this movie--I can't remember if we watched it when it came out.

Thread Information