Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Transgender relative

Well i don't know but my son dresses in womens clothes in private. He acts like a male though. He says sometimes he wants to be a girl. So I'm confused.

Cudos for your support!

My cousin, as an adult decided she was a "man trapped in a women's body" and has been a "man" now for 30+ years. Early on had mastectomy and hysterectomy - don't know about the "other" plumbing. Has been married and has an adult son. His name and gender was legally changed on his birth certificate.

We live several states apart and I have seen him only several times over the years. He is accepted in our family and is a great person. He is active in our church - but with some restrictions - which he accepts and is faithful.

While now it is more accepted, it has not been an easy road for any of his immediate family. There was a lot or tension when his parents kept - soley by habit - calling him by his "former female" name. Lots of counselling for his son when he became a teenager. I "assume" because of talk by his friends and school mates.

I wonder if hormone therapy would work for anyone feeling like they're living in the wrong body. Is it maybe a hormone imbalance? Just wondering. I'm absolutely not making any judgements. It must be horrible to feel like you're the other gender. Just wondering if any any research has been done on it. Seems like it might be easier to adjust hormones than to have all that surgery........plus, I think if you become a woman, you have to stay on the hormones anyhow.
    (Just to clarify....was wondering if males who want to be females need more testosterone and women who want to be men need more estrogen).

He knew when he was 5! He has known and lived with this for almost 40 years before he's decided to do hormone therapy for transitioning so I trust that he knows what he's doing and I'm glad that he's going to a therapist about it.

What a long and tormented 40 years it must have been for him. It must feel really freeing for him to go forward with something he's wanted for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    What a long and tormented 40 years it must have been for him. It must feel really freeing for him to go forward with something he's wanted for so long.
    I agree.
    I've known two male to female and watched a documentary on a female to male journey just the other night.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Here's one of the latest scientific studies done.
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/...rain-scan.html

I'm trans (female-to-male), and being female-bodied is very disturbing for me. There's still a lot of stigma about being transgender, which makes things worse. The suicide rate for trans people is extremely high, something like 50% have attempted it, if I remember correctly. Some aren't able to transition due to lack of money and resources (voice of experience here). Transition is expensive and most insurance plans don't cover it. It can be difficult finding a doctor who will prescribe hormones and many require a letter from a therapist, which can also be difficult to find (one that understands, anyway).

FWIW, I have taken female hormones before but they just made the problem worse, not better. The less female hormones in my body, the better I feel. I've heard from several online trans friends of mine that when they started hormone treatment to transition (female-to-male taking testosterone, for example) that mentally they felt so much better. I've heard it being compared to an engine (the brain) finally running on the right fuel (hormones).

Except for one of my sisters, my family was rather upset and disturbed when I told them. Some of them are ashamed of me and some have been rather cold towards me since they found out. I have a friend who has family who haven't spoken to him since he transitioned years ago. So it's good to see that there are people out there who are supportive of their family members who are trans.

Maxamillion how long have you been transgender? Some people think that it is odd that our LDS (Mormon) family is so accepting of our LDS cousin. I think it is hard to judge others for their feelings and what they feel is right for them.

I hope your family comes around - I don't think people should be obligated to accept other's decisions, but that shouldn't stop them from loving and caring about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
    Maxamillion how long have you been transgender?
    My whole life. I was around four when I realized there was a difference between boys and girls. And I felt very cheated that I wasn't a boy. Puberty was horrifying. I tried to ignore it all for a long time after and tried my best to fit in with the girls. But when I went away to college, it all came back, worse than ever. I did some research online and found out something could be done about it (I had heard of people transitioning to female but didn't know it was possible to transition to male until then). It's only been in the last year that I've told my family, so I'm hoping they will come around. Some of them do come from a religious background and I know it's a struggle for them. So I'm trying to be patient.

Thread Information