Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you "basic?"

Are you "basic?"

Urban Dictionary's definition of the word "basic" is:

"Used to describe someone devoid of defining characteristics that might make a person interesting, extraordinary, or just simply worth devoting time or attention to."

I know a lot of basic people. Some of them are very nice, salt-of-the-earth. But I also know they would find the term basic offensive.

Do you find it offensive? Do you consider yourself basic? Is basic so bad really?

If you think I am, I am. IMHO, "basicness" is in the eyes of the beholder.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I would say I am rarely considered 'basic', but that is really not a great thing most of the time!!

I would not use this to describe anyone, including my very average, everyday dear friends and family. They hold the normal together for the rest of us to bounce off of.

Spock was basic. Or at least a smart basic. Everyone else has too many quirks to truly fit that definition of basic. At least that’s the case for every person i’ve met in the 50 years i’ve been alive.

Edited to add, it may take a bit of getting to know the person to discover what it is that makes them not basic, but there’s always something. Sometimes a BIG something.

no, but every deviation from basic just makes it harder to get on in the world unfortunately. And not all non-basic things are good, in fact they are often pretty mixed bags.
    Trees don't grow on money

Ummm UL, are you aware of the “Basic Bitch” label? From the Urban Dictionary:

Someone who is unflinchingly upholding of the status quo and stereotypes of their gender without even realizing it. She engages in typical, unoriginal behaviors, modes of dress, speech, and likes. She is tragically/laughably unaware of her utter lack of specialness
    and intrigue. She believers herself to be unique, fly, amazing, and a complete catch, when really she is boring, painfully normal, and par. She believes her experiences to be crazy, wild, and different or somehow more special than everything that everybody else is doing, when really, almost everyone is doing or has done the exact same thing. She is typical and a dime a dozen...

Yeah,
    I am probably basic, but
    I dont care if others think so.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Ummm UL, are you aware of the “Basic Bitch” label? From the Urban Dictionary:

Someone who is unflinchingly upholding of the status quo and stereotypes of their gender without even realizing it. She engages in typical, unoriginal behaviors, modes of dress, speech, and likes. She is tragically/laughably unaware of her utter lack of specialness
    and intrigue. She believers herself to be unique, fly, amazing, and a complete catch, when really she is boring, painfully normal, and par. She believes her experiences to be crazy, wild, and different or somehow more special than everything that everybody else is doing, when really, almost everyone is doing or has done the exact same thing. She is typical and a dime a dozen...

Yeah,
    I am probably basic, but
    I dont care if others think so.
    By that definition, Facebook is the reflection of a society of “Basic Bitches.”

This guy is not basic:

Im Popeye the Sailor Man
    I live in a garbage can,
    I eat all the worms
    and spit out the germs,
    Im Popeye the Sailor Man.

I think someone could be not "basic," or perhaps what we might call remarkable by their own volition or simply because of circumstances. Though I think that is an important distinction to make.

Someone who grew up in a military family may have lived all over the world, but this was because their parents were carting them from nation to nation. This could make them worldly, but if they cease to explore the world after leaving their parents' home then they can rapidly become basic.

I also think someone who travels the world on their own is more remarkable, just as for instance.

Yeah, I'm pretty basic. I'm ok with that. I don't do grand /anything/. My career is only moderately successful, my worldly possessions are in the modest category as well. I've traveled but not lavishly and not to exotic places. There's nothing all that outstanding about me, or particularly fascinating. My passions are in areas a lot of people don't share, so at a party I often just listen. I at least don't have the self delusion that I'm interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    My passions are in areas a lot of people don't share...
    What are they, may I ask?

Thread Information