Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't Find This Product

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    It helps to use the correct terminology when looking for items. Search for a surge protector with RJ11 jacks, a quick look on Amazon revealed lots of choices.
    RJ11 is a 6 pin telephone jack, RJ45 is an 8 pin Ethernet jack. They look the same except for size so don't depend on how it looks.
    I am making a note of this info on an index card to carry with me while shopping. I knew it had some type of number to help with it. They should have different numbers (not so close) to make it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by 19Sandy View Post
    I am making a note of this info on an index card to carry with me while shopping. I knew it had some type of number to help with it. They should have different numbers (not so close) to make it easier.
    There is a reason they are close. It has to do with telecommunications. RJ11 is an old phone standard, where the old telephone lines had four wires (maximum, two telephone lines). RJ45 has 8 wires and can be used as a mix of telephone and network, or just network. (and it has a wider jack because of it)

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    There is a reason they are close. It has to do with telecommunications. RJ11 is an old phone standard, where the old telephone lines had four wires (maximum, two telephone lines). RJ45 has 8 wires and can be used as a mix of telephone and network, or just network. (and it has a wider jack because of it)
    Great info - I now know more than the experts (lol) that sold me the wrong one. Apparently the right one is going to cost more too!

I wonder if there are adapters to use other types of surge protectors with the phone lines. I know they had a lot of bits and pieces at the store that were to connect stuff.

https://www.cnet.com/news/9-things-y...ge-protectors/

Since I recently replaced the surge protectors in our home den I found this article helpful in understanding better how to pick a good quality product. Not that we get much lightning in San Francisco, but who knows, we may not live here forever.

And most importantly, don't be like my friend...

Found a local store that has 4 in stock, hope to get one next week when I have some extra cash. 10 dollars cheaper than best buy's price!

Thread Information