Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The cost of NYC New Year's Eve celebrations........

The cost of NYC New Year's Eve celebrations........

I'm sure this year is costing the most. All the extra police/snipers/national guard/sand trucks, etc. Is it really worth the expense? I can't even imagine wanting to be there, not to mention a 5 degree temperature. How can anyone in that mass of people even hold their bladders? Last place in the U.S. I would want to be (next to Las Vegas). Seriously.......what kind of cost will this be? Seems like we require more and more and more.............

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I was thinking the same thing. I just read in Germany they have a huge security increase this year after bands of migrants sexually assaulted women. We are staying home.

I sure wouldn't want to be there tonight, personally, (especially tonight! Brr!!!) but I say let the young'uns have their fun. What a rush to be at Times Square on New Year's Eve!! (But DH and I also always wonder the same thing about how you manage to stand there for hours without a bathroom.)

Our son is down from VT and so we're going to a quiet BYOB Japanese restaurant. If he weren't here, we'd probably just go to bed. That's how old we're getting!

And BTW, what a beautiful moon tonight! Happy New Year's everyone!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

In Argentina earlier this month during my trip I took a tour and the guide was a 21 year old Argentine. He told me that his big dream is to go to NYC someday for the NYE countdown.

My plans for the evening are to go to a potluck at the UU. They have a subgroup called ASH (Atheists, Skeptics, and Humanists). The UU-ASH usually has a discussion group but tonight they are doing something I find quite clever.

They are having a potluck from 7pm to 9pm. The idea is that you can do a low-key pre-party there and then move on to your big, wild party later.

Or like me, you can just go home and avoid most of the drunkards out on the road.

In Argentina earlier this month during my trip I took a tour and the guide was a 21 year old Argentine. He told me that his big dream is to go to NYC someday for the NYE countdown.
    This would actually be my nightmare. I was at Times Square a couple of years ago the day after Christmas. It was MOBBED. I could not even imagine when everyone came out to celebrate.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Is it really worth the expense?
    Seems the people of NYC think so, since they keep electing leaders who support the event.

My NYE's plan is to pull a duty shift, so that someone else can be with their family. I'm hoping I won't have to deal with any drunk-driving crashes tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Seems the people of NYC think so, since they keep electing leaders who support the event.

My NYE's plan is to pull a duty shift, so that someone else can be with their family. I'm hoping I won't have to deal with any drunk-driving crashes tonight.
    That's nice of you bae. I hope you have a totally uneventful shift!

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    That's nice of you bae. I hope you have a totally uneventful shift!
    So far so good. One call for a slip-and-fall in a tub, marijuana-related, but at least they weren't driving!

I'm spending the evening at home with BBC Radio online or the local radio station I like that does a nice NYE show. Probably do some reading. Already heard London ring in the New Year with Big Ben. I'll probably be asleep before midnight local time. I'm planning on being in the pool at 8 am for my laps, and at a friend's open house later in the day.

Thread Information