Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rescuing the kids in Thailand in the caves.........

From above:

No-mount restrictions are no joke, but they're not impassable. We do it all the time in cave diving, and while I'm never super comfortable with them, I'm also not peeing myself at the thought.
    No-mount means - you are in such a tight space that you won't fit with your air tank on your back. So you need to remove the tank, and feed it through in front of you by hand. While maintaining air flow.

We train in this in firefighting. Some spaces are too small to traverse with all the gear on, so you need to become smaller. Our routine testing involves going through some culverts, and some collapsed building simulators, where we need to do this. In total blackout conditions.

It's freaking terrifying, especially since if you manage to pull off your facepiece/mask in this situation, you probably die with the next breath in real life, if it's a firefighting situation. It requires a lot of drill and developing confidence in your gear and your skills to be able to do this consistently.

Good gracious, those poor kids.

Pretty exciting that 8 are out so far! It's going so much better than I expected.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

You know, I can't believe how they acted after 10 days of not eating and being in the dark. How do you think U.S. kids would act? One thing I heard on the news was that the coach had spent most of the last 10 years being a novice in a Buddhist monastery.
    You wonder if he helped calm the kids by sharing much of the things he learned.
    I'm just in disbelief how calm the boys were. And I don't think it's because they were dying of thirst or starving and too out of it to act so calm, since they seemed so together, emotionally.

Yeah--so far, so good. I might give the coach a break...
    Talk of meditation to stay calm, and the weather has cooperated.
    I hear they expressed a craving for Thai fried rice with basil, which sounds awfully good to me right now.
    Hoping for the best, and I hope this serves as a warning to stay out of caves unless you're experienced and/or not afraid to die.

All out and safe--let the feasting begin!

Woohoo!! I'm so impressed with all the people who made this happen. YAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    You know, I can't believe how they acted after 10 days of not eating and being in the dark. How do you think U.S. kids would act? One thing I heard on the news was that the coach had spent most of the last 10 years being a novice in a Buddhist monastery.
    You wonder if he helped calm the kids by sharing much of the things he learned.
    I'm just in disbelief how calm the boys were. And I don't think it's because they were dying of thirst or starving and too out of it to act so calm, since they seemed so together, emotionally.
    Yeah, I think it's amazing. I think the meditation probably helped a lot. In terms of the boys being calm, I wonder if its part of their culture--I can't imagine too many American boys sending notes back to parents politely reminding them to prepare for a birthday party, or for their favorite meal--I imagine notes from Americans more along the lines of "Get us the F**** out of here or I'll sue you bastards!!"

I remember reading in one of Malcolm Gladwell's books about one of the planes that crashed in Queens--not the one right after 9/11--it was one from the Colombia and the flight crew knew they were perilously low in gas, but they were supposed to stay in a holding pattern due to heavy air traffic around LaGuardia, which they did until they ran out of gas and fell from the sky. Gladwell said that they were too polite and subservient to demand to to be granted permission to land the plane, which was a mark of their culture.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm also thankful everyone got out safely. Also very heartwarming to see the international cooperation - people from different countries speaking different languages who all had a common goal and were successful.
    I'd love to see some financial remuneration for the first responders, and local farmers who sacrificed this year's crops when the water was drained from the tunnel - I hope there's a fund set up, I think a lot of people would donate.

So the kids and coach are ok, but not everyone got out safely. (one fatality, trying to rescue them)
    That should be remembered. (he has family as well)

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    So the kids and coach are ok, but not everyone got out safely. (one fatality, trying to rescue them)
    That should be remembered. (he has family as well)
    Well noted. Thanks for the reminder.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information