Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Here's some hope..........really truly some hope and I never thought I'd see this!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    And 99.9% of the police would come to your aid if you were in need.
    Ummmm......suppose you were to make a public speech to this effect in downtown Sacramento, California this afternoon? How well do you think such a speech would go over given the realities of the Sacramento PD? And your 99.9% statistic? Do you honestly believe many people in Sacramento would buy this at this point? Just sayin'...........but to be fair, I don't live in Sacramento. We all know where I live and we all know my zip code at this point. Here such a speech would not go over very well (though I don't believe you'd face violent consequences for making such a speech in the 85006) and nobody but nobody would buy your 99.9% statistic - matter of fact, due to what enough residents here have experienced, this one statistic would likely be the most off-putting and enraging thing you have to say.

Takeaway? We don't live in the same America realistically, even though this is legally and geographically so. In my America the take on police is very different from yours, a fact of which you can't talk away any more than I could talk away your pro-police stance. What to do? I don't have lots of answers but I will continue my activism as time allows and I hope this bill in California passes. What a human rights victory that would be!!! I'd even wear my nice outfit saved for a Trump impeachment to celebrate the passage of this bill, should it pass. Rob

As I say to anyone who sides with the police...
    No one here has said that. No one is in favor of police being overzealous, shooting innocents and the like. There most definitely is an element of bad apples in policing, as there is in any profession. Some start out that way, and some become that way.

The point you are likely missing is that there are millions and millions of police/civilian interactions that we NEVER HEAR ABOUT BECAUSE NOTHING BAD HAPPENS. Most cops are not gleefully shooting people. Most cops want to do their job in the best way they know how. Most cops are honorable. Most cops are as horrified about rogue cops as the rest of the population. Yes, there are bad ones. Yes, the over militarization of the police has often not had good effects. Yes, be viligant and have your camera ready, but realize that most of the time you will be filming non events. Yes I do think that police are more hostile in some areas. And its also true that some areas have more crime and so statistically, its more likely that that person standing in the alley IS up to no good. Its true in some area the cops are shot at, and harassed more than in other areas, and I'm sure over time some cops turn more cynical.

But this constant EVERY cop is crooked, EVERY cop can't wait to shoot up an innocent person, EVERY cop is on the take/overzealous etc just isn't true, any more than EVERY waiter spits in your food when a customer is cranky and sends the food back. And the hyperbole just doesn't help your case Rob, it turns off even people who somewhat agree with your points (like me).

Thank you herbgeek. Rob has his experiences which I wouldn't argue with. However, whenever I read "the police" in his posts I get frustrated because by and large they are good people doing a thankless job. Yes there are bad ones. I even know a couple myself. Ones that go off script should be held accountable - no question. But to take the stance that there is a sinister collective mentality that makes all LE officers roam the streets looking for opportunities to impose brutality on innocents is where all credibility is lost.

HG: I totally agree with you.

if you spend all your energy seeking out black swans, you eventually won't notice the white ones.

This Cali legislation might very well end up with injured or dead cops. And I'm sure some on the left would be just fine with that. It's very possible cops would hesitate to use force in a situation that called for legitimate UOF because they didn't want to get raked over the coals. The Second City Cop blog recounted an incident over a year ago about a female Chicago cop who hesitated to use force (shoot) in a situation that called for it because of the current climate around police shootings. This female officer got very badly beat up by the bad guy, as a result.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    This Cali legislation might very well end up with injured or dead cops. And I'm sure some on the left would be just fine with that. It's very possible cops would hesitate to use force in a situation that called for legitimate UOF because they didn't want to get raked over the coals. The Second City Cop blog recounted an incident over a year ago about a female Chicago cop who hesitated to use force (shoot) in a situation that called for it because of the current climate around police shootings. This female officer got very badly beat up by the bad guy, as a result.
    I've thought about your post here for a stretch of days, Tradd. I did not want to just post a knee jerk reaction as your response was very "heavy" for me and I wanted to think it out.

That said, I don't like the gloom and doom of what I am about to post, but in the 85006, it's reality regardless, just like it is in numerous other lower income US zip codes. Namely - the way America is set up at the moment - take your pick. Either you side against the police and are all for unarmed individuals such as the deceased Mr. Clark, formerly of Sacramento, CA not being murdered for flimsy/no real reason(s) - or you side with the police and find the numerous deaths of unarmed mostly minority US citizens acceptable. You get to pick, this is your choice and up to you.

Given that I have witnessed police brutality against a Hispanic neighbor take place right next door to me and given that I believe in Human Rights and Human Dignity, I have no choice in the Current Form of America other than to side against the police and to side with Human Life. For me there is no question other than the following bit of wisdom I offer to chew over:

Why should it be acceptable to either one of us to live in a country in which the system is set up so that realistically you are forced into siding one way or the other? I don't come equipped with the ability to understand or forgive America for this. My people deserve better. Rob
    Last edited by gimmethesimplelife; 4-14-18 at 4:18pm.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Why should it be acceptable to either one of us to live in a country in which the system is set up so that realistically you are forced into siding one way or the other?Rob
    Who is holding a gun to you, forcing you to live in this country, or forcing you to side with someone?
    A partial quote "I don't come equipped with the ability to understand", could/should be a full sentence there I think.

For the record the crowd of people that leep telling rob (paraphrasing a bulk of posts here) ‘STFU and leave already’ are really tiring. If you are so insecure about this country that your best reaponse to someone criticizing it is to repeatedly say say ‘go ahead and go already’ the problem is with you, not him.

I don't feel compelled to side with either side. I look at all the facts and make up my own mind. I just read that more firemen and policemen commit suicide then are killed at work because of all the horrible things they see on a daily basis which I find to be really sad too.

Thread Information