Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: January Purge

I dropped off two bags of groceries at the barrel at my local store, and have two leaf bags of clothes, three boxes of household goods, and a couple of appliances to donate this week.

Sounds like everybody is making good progress.

I FINALLY got rid of an old laptop today. This is another one that feels like it should count as 20 because there were a lot of steps involved in getting rid of it - posting it as a give-away on Freecycle, figuring out how to get the old files off it and onto an external hard drive and then coordinating the pick-up with its new owner. DONE! I haven't used it in over two years, so figuring out the best way to dispose of it has been a job that's been hanging over my head for a while, and it feels so good to have taken care of it.

New total for month: 56.

Quote Originally Posted by ejchase View Post
    Sounds like everybody is making good progress.

I FINALLY got rid of an old laptop today. This is another one that feels like it should count as 20 because there were a lot of steps involved in getting rid of it - posting it as a give-away on Freecycle, figuring out how to get the old files off it and onto an external hard drive and then coordinating the pick-up with its new owner. DONE! I haven't used it in over two years, so figuring out the best way to dispose of it has been a job that's been hanging over my head for a while, and it feels so good to have taken care of it.

New total for month: 56.
    Good for you! How do you actually get all the old files off a computer to give it away or recycle? I don't know how, and don't even think I want to save all the old files, which are teaching files I don't want to have anyway.

Working on cleaning and purging kitchen cabinets. This is good because I actually have some cans and boxes that were past expiration date--gosh, where does the time go? Kind of horrible that I am not doing this every month. Need to go back to flylady. I can only do a couple a day because I get depressed and burned out. Have gotten rid of a thermos, a coffee grinder, a tin from the 40's, and a can of pumpkin from 3 years ago!! All I can say is I must have moved it from SC and then we grow our own pumpkins every year so I never got around to using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Good for you! How do you actually get all the old files off a computer to give it away or recycle? I don't know how, and don't even think I want to save all the old files, which are teaching files I don't want to have anyway.
    The IT guy at work actually did it for me - which was super nice because originally I took it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy, and they were going to charge me $100 to do it.

Frankly, I don't know if I needed all the files, but there were baby pictures of my daughter on there, and I wasn't sure I had copied all of them, so now I know I have everything. It's clutter, but it's very compact!

This week I am cleaning and organizing the basement. Arrrgh. It is dirty, actual dirt, because it is am old basement. That I can deal with. It is all of my flower show accoutrements that are a problem. Getting them organized is my goal. I threw out a few thins that I now regret (unusual for me!) and fortunately they are still in our garbage can on oir patio, so
    I will retrieve them.

Iris Lilies, I hope your basement clean-out went well.

My daughter and I went through her clothes and books and found one book (torn up) and three dresses (with holes and/or permanent stains) for the trash. We also packed up hand-me-downs which I will count later and deliver to friends today. I also gave away an old bicycle helmet of hers to another mom.

New total: 61.

Nice progress today: 23 hand-me-downs to family friends, 16 items to Goodwill, an old package of diapers passed on to neighbors with a little one, 2 items of clothing returned to a store.

New total for month: 103!

Nice,ejchase!

Wow echase you are doing great! I did find another bag of stuff for the thrift store.

Thread Information