Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 85006's latest issue with Trump

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

The 85006's latest issue with Trump

My neighborhood is all abuzz over Trump's latest.....apparently now for those who immigrate legally to the US, once you have a green card you can be denied citizenship (should you apply for it) if you or anyone in your household (assuming that you are not single) has ever used US public assistance of any kind.

On the one hand, there are those who abuse the limited benefits they can access, I won't deny that. On the other hand, given the low pay of the kinds of jobs most immigrants get vs. the nightmarishly rising costs in the US, this new policy reeks of inhumanity.

What do you think? I side with the 85006 and against the Thug of Orange. (I got tired of calling Trump the Orange Thug and am now calling him the Thug of Orange). Rob

Is there like an hourly opinion poll in the 85006 to keep up with the latest community outrage?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Is there like an hourly opinion poll in the 85006 to keep up with the latest community outrage?
    Unlike many Americans, most people know their neighbors where I live and speak to their neighbors about such issues on a frequent basis......no need to an hourly opinion poll, Alan. I am going to get feedback on the latest news just by walking down a street where I live as I know (on some level, it's not like I know all the intimate details of every last neighbor's life) my neighbors.....and of course, almost everyone is going to agree politically on the big issues facing both the 85006 and the big world beyond the 85006. No real need for an hourly poll - it's more like we keep each other informed as good neighbors do for one another in lower income areas - we don't have the standoffishness overall that you would find were you to drive three miles north of where I live to a much "nicer" area where there is going to be more distrust of neighbors and paranoia of loss or of threats that other people "represent".

One nice thing about where I live - any efforts to drive a wedge between neighbors here have proved fruitless. Wages overall are too low and there is too much blatant lack of social mobility/real opportunity for such to work here. Not a day passes where I am not grateful for this (meaning the inability to drive wedges between people in this neighborhood), but I will admit as an introvert the level of social activity expected where I live can be draining - that much I'd agree with. Rob

Never mind. Read original post wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    This is not just a community outrage, Alan.....this is a direct hit on hard working low income immigrants. This is an outrage to anyone who is decended from those who stepped off boats at Ellis Island......those people had nothing, too....maybe they didn't have social welfare to fall back on but do we want immigrants to suffer if they fall on legitimate hard time through no fault of their own? I can see a point where if it's the immigrant's fault for their unfortunate life situations, but it is not always the immigrant's fault. Rob

I know my neighbors but didn’t discuss politics with anyone except for people I know that have similar views. The last thing I want to do is argue with people. If we are out and talking to people and they bring up politics we refuse to discuss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I know my neighbors but didn’t discuss politics with anyone except for people I know that have similar views. The last thing I want to do is argue with people. If we are out and talking to people and they bring up politics we refuse to discuss it.
    Same here, I think the self-appointed voice of the 85006 may take a few liberties when speaking for the residents.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    My neighborhood is all abuzz over Trump's latest.....apparently now for those who immigrate legally to the US, once you have a green card you can be denied citizenship (should you apply for it) if you or anyone in your household (assuming that you are not single) has ever used US public assistance of any kind.

On the one hand, there are those who abuse the limited benefits they can access, I won't deny that. On the other hand, given the low pay of the kinds of jobs most immigrants get vs. the nightmarishly rising costs in the US, this new policy reeks of inhumanity.

What do you think? I side with the 85006 and against the Thug of Orange. (I got tired of calling Trump the Orange Thug and am now calling him the Thug of Orange). Rob
    I cant believe that after all this injustice.........these people are still staying here! Aren’t there better countries to go to? Oh yeah.....they have immigration laws too.

This came out in February. What took the 85006 hive-mind so long for it to register as the latest outrage?

I would say at this point you’re forty or fifty outrages behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I cant believe that after all this injustice.........these people are still staying here! Aren’t there better countries to go to? Oh yeah.....they have immigration laws too.
    And less economic opportunity

And less safety

And less ....etc.

Thread Information