Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: September Frugals

Found a jeweler to reset a ring mom gave me that had a cz in it. Am changing it to a white sapphire I bought online for around a hundred dollars. Jeweler is charging 35 dollars to reset the stone, and she says the sapphire is beautiful!

Flowers: what a great way to balance the gift exchange desires of others while staying true to your own values.
    Tybee: it sounds like you will end up with a great ring for a very reasonable price. Nice!

Rosa, I was just glad that this jeweler thought it was a nice stone. Mom would buy old jewelery and then put cz's in them, and I like the idea of a white sapphire. I also just bought an aquamarine from India for 15 dollars, can't wait to see how that turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Finished my Christmas sewing. I am not fond of gift giving but DH’s family insists. The idea is about a $25 gift and there are 13 people. I made everyone a token gift like potholders, throw pillows or placemats from a huge pile of quilt shop fabric a friend who was moving gave me. Pillow forms are ridiculously expensive so I went to my favorite thrift shop and bought a bunch of pillows that looked new and recovered them.
    then I give my DIL $250 which her company matches and she donates to several animal and child charities everyone agrees are great. It is good all around and besides the donation cost me less than $25. Much better use of money I think.
    I hear you about pillow forms. I had to pay a ridiculous amount to get a bolster style pillow form. Most of them are long term out of stock.

For square pillows, and I will need a few of those, I can use ones from the thrift store. But bolster shape is hard to find there.

Flowerseverywhere, I love your ideas for gift giving. That is a good source for pillow filling. I am still covering forms I have collected for 20 years from all kinds of places. Even found one of those expensive bench pillows so popular now for $4. Gave a bunch to Mom so she could finish some Christmas pillows a few years ago.

Flowers - Does this mean you are all done with Christmas gifts?! I love handmade, functional gifts and yours sound wonderful.

Tybee - If I may ask, what are you having done with the aquamarine? I've recently become a little enamored of aquamarine, even though I'm not a jewelry person.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Flowers - Does this mean you are all done with Christmas gifts?! I love handmade, functional gifts and yours sound wonderful.

Tybee - If I may ask, what are you having done with the aquamarine? I've recently become a little enamored of aquamarine, even though I'm not a jewelry person.
    Happy, I am going to make it into a ring that I will wear for a few years, then pass on to my granddaughters, as I want to give them each a nice ring when they turn 15, like my grandmother did. Here is the setting I am using:

Very pretty, Tybee. I love silver!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Me too! Lots of nice silver settings from India now.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post

all except my grandchildren. I’m having them send a list and I pick one or two things after consulting their parents.

Thread Information