Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: "White Athletes Still Standing For The Anthem Are Standing For White Supremacy"

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I'm not sure what insight either lapsed or active status in the Church provides on the topic of the dangers of Catholics in positions of power. It may already be too late. Despite Senator Feinstein's vigilance, there are already five on the Supreme Court. Six, if you count Justice Gorsuch, who like you left the Church to consort with the upstart Episcopalians.
    At this rate, we'll have a Catholic president some day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Heaven forfend!

but in no sense a practicing one, thank heavens.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Nah.
    That would freak people out, especially if there was some missile crisis.

Moving from the Catholic Threat back to the original post, I see that fans are starting to boo the knee-takers in various venues.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Moving from the Catholic Threat back to the original post, I see that fans are starting to boo the knee-takers in various venues.
    The NFL is dead to me. Only the NBA could be farther from my world.

WS, this total withdrawal makes no sense to me. Sorry, but there are some really serious issues like starvation, lack of drinking water and death in Puerto Rico that no one even is aware of as yet versus the NFL protest.

You are being manipulated by hyperbole. Those NFL players have worked really hard to get to their level of expertise, as hard as anyone else, in any other sport, giving enjoyment for years to fans. These players took a courageous stand that is not illegal. There have been protests by individuals for decades with no change that is visible as yet according to reports. What protests have you taken to prevent inappropriate police practices? What is an acceptable form of protest for thes players as far as you ae concerned?

I am not a great sports fan usually but judging the players' actions so harshly is totally out of proportion to my thinking. Get upset about the real abuse in former Burma or Syria, Turkey in which people are being tortured and slaughtered, or South Sudan or the acute anguish in so many other parts of the world like Puerto Rico, Venezuela or the Ukraine...
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    WS, this total withdrawal makes no sense to me. Sorry, but there are some really serious issues like starvation, lack of drinking water and death in Puerto Rico that no one even is aware of as yet versus the NFL protest.

You are being manipulated by hyperbole. Those NFL players have worked really hard to get to their level of expertise, as hard as anyone else, in any other sport, giving enjoyment for years to fans. These players took a courageous stand that is not illegal. There have been protests by individuals for decades with no change that is visible as yet according to reports. What protests have you taken to prevent inappropriate police practices? What is an acceptable form of protest for thes players as far as you ae concerned?

I am not a great sports fan usually but judging the players' actions so harshly is totally out of proportion to my thinking. Get upset about the real abuse in former Burma or Syria, Turkey in which people are being tortured and slaughtered, or South Sudan or the acute anguish in so many other parts of the world like Puerto Rico, Venezuela or the Ukraine...
    oh razz.....where do I start? What has to change? For 25 years I practiced proper police procedure and not one time did I oppress a black person. I arrested countless people but I never considered their skin color as a part of probable cause. My heart is guiltless on this issue. In fact, I was passed over in favor of less qualified minorities, people who tested worse than me simply on account of my white skin color.

I have the capacity to be concerned about abuses worldwide as well as the foolishness of NFL “protests”. Players are fined by the NFL for late hits, celebrating in the end zone, unapproved socks....but nothing is done about their refusal to abide by league rules to appear and stand for the anthem. Their disrespect is double to me. They do it during the anthem in order to maximize the hurtfulness of it. And they do it to declare that police officers are oppressive and kill black people for the joy of it. If you can’t make sense of my boycott, that’s fine. As a consumer, I will choose to protest by impacting their pocket book.

Yppej
    Williamsmith, did you know any bad apple cops during your years on the force? And if so, what did you do?

Williamsmith
    We had an internal affairs department staffed with criminal investigators. It was known as the Bureau of Professional Responsibility. They were kept quite busy. Every officer involved shooting was investigated by this bureau. Every single citizen complaint was investigated including anonymous complaints. We even went to the trouble of placing complaint forms written in Spanish and English in the rest areas of every interstate highway in the Commonwealth. All officers were considered as culpable as an offending officer if they witnessed oppression and didn’t report it.

Yes, I knew “bad apple cops” and I was personally responsible for sending more than one to prison or ending their career prematurely.

Thread Information