Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will

Will

I need to update my will. Its a simple estate. Are there any online options that you are aware of? I'd rather pay a little and add a few tweaks to a cookie cutter will, than pay an attorney the big bucks.

Yppej
    I tried to do a will myself and my signature had to be notarized. Notaries told me per state law only an attorney can notarize a will. Attorneys dominate my state legislature and have the system rigged in their favor. Your mileage/jurisdiction may vary.

Nolo Press.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I tried to do a will myself and my signature had to be notarized. Notaries told me per state law only an attorney can notarize a will.
    That makes little sense, based on my understanding of the law. What state is this in?

(Possible issues that spring immediately to mind - wills don’t have to be notarized, generally, to be valid, in most states. They are typically *witnessed*, but even non-witnessed wills can be valid. A notary typically can’t notarize a signature in a matter i’m which they have any self-interest, so your own attorney likely couldn’t notarize a will he was complicit in drawing up. Etc.)

Thanks

Yppej
    Massachusetts does not recognize a self-proving will.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I need to update my will. Its a simple estate. Are there any online options that you are aware of? I'd rather pay a little and add a few tweaks to a cookie cutter will, than pay an attorney the big bucks.
    Ok, I’ll bite. If you dont wish to pay an attorney, what are you gaining from a self made will?

Your state will have formulas for disbursing your assets. You have children, and lt is pretty likely the state will recognize them as inheritors. Perhaps other family members are in that formula. Why have a will at all?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Ok, I’ll bite. If you dont wish to pay an attorney, what are you gaining from a self made will?

Your state will have formulas for disbursing your assets. You have children, and lt is pretty likely the state will recognize them as inheritors. Perhaps other family members are in that formula. Why have a will at all?
    What arrangements have you made for your dogs if they should be orphaned? I know of one family that battled over that.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    What arrangements have you made for your dogs if they should be orphaned? I know of one family that battled over that.
    Theoretically, I love it when families battle over who gets the pets. Yay for the pets! That assumes multiple people want them, and they will not end up in rescue.

But ok, I see your point but I wonder if a home grown will actually has real teeth for things like pets.

Yppej
    The courts handled custody issues for a cat in the first lesbian divorce in Massachusetts so they can have jurisdiction in pet matters. I would think better to specify what you want than let lawyers get rich because you didn't, draining part of your estate.

Thread Information