Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCRUM

SCRUM

How many of you people who are still working experience the SCRUM method at your work place?
    Curious about it. Does it work exclusively in environments where specific tasks are clearly articulated?

I also wonder if/how the world of Education has adapted and bowdlerized it.

Oh man blast from the past. Suffice to say I have never seen Agile work well, and I mean in software development, sure sure it may work well somewhere. I often think it was a bad match for the industry I was in that tried to use it, heavily regulated industries acting like dot coms. I've never seen it work well, only seen it crash and burn and go back to waterfall.

Now I'm just doing solitary work part of no larger projects so there isn't a need for that type of cooperation. Wow things form the past I REALLY DON'T miss.

The one thing I think can sometimes work depending on how fast things move and how much it can help to have feedback, is daily check in on work progress.
    Trees don't grow on money

I was a scrum master in software development before I retired. I can't speak to what education is doing with it. Many of our tasks were not well defined when we started, that's kind of the point: take a big monster thing and break it down into smaller increments you DO know how to do. Learn with small experiements, and pivot as you need to based on what you learn.

I've taken many of the principles into use into my personal life- breaking things down to small pieces, making progress, being prepared to pivot at any time. In gardening, I do a small chunk from start to finish, rather than doing all of one thing one day, and all of a second thing on a second day. The progress spurs momentum. I am lazy so momentum is important to me, once I get moving I often want to keep moving so I have to take advantage of that.

A scrum master! Cool.

I escaped the industry in 2001, and was spared.

No idea what you're talking about. Left workplace in 2008.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I just *knew* k-12 ed couldn't resist hanging out with the cool kids of Silicon Valley.

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/sc...proach/2017/11

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I just *knew* k-12 ed couldn't resist hanging out with the cool kids of Silicon Valley.

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/sc...proach/2017/11
    Within Agile, Scrum offers a formula for doing that: To put it simply, a team divides a project into tasks, everyone takes pieces and works on them over a sprint cycle (generally a couple of weeks), and then everyone reconvenes to compare what they’ve done to the vision, re-tune, and dole out more tasks. Throughout, the team holds 15-minute daily Scrum meetings to check in. Scrum teams are meant to be cross-functional, involving people from different departments and up and down the hierarchy. The term borrows from rugby; in a scrum formation, players interlock their bodies to try to gain possession of the ball.

Yuck. Sorry, not for me.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    No idea what you're talking about. Left workplace in 2008.
    Glad that I am not the only one thinking this and I left self-employment in 2004.

IL's article is interesting. Is scrum still being used in business and education today?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Never heard of it!

Thread Information