Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: January Purge

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    Are there any rules or methods required in these monthly purges? Or are they totally free-form where you just eliminate whatever you can and report the result here?
    Definitely free-form

Put some holiday decorations, a large decorative bowl a few more items in the donate/sale container in the garage. There's a possibility we may move in the next year, so I'm looking at things through my "do I want to pack, move, unpack and find a place for this" glasses.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I'm stalled, or paused, or ?

Was going great guns. Found a way to give myself credit for the work, without a cumulative visual list. A problem if those lists trigger panic attacks, and they always have. But, okay, I"m in a slow time, or stalled or paused or just quitting. I had been purging stuff daily and I haven't for the past few days. To the point that when I was getting ready to go to the dump yesterday? I didn't. There wasn't enough to justify the trip.

So, I need to find a way to jump start myself, again. Not sure what that is. Last major push was in our bedroom. When the room is cleared enough, we can move the bed. After we move the bed, we can put up the last of the 4 floor to ceiling bookcases. That means I can put away more books. I went though one of the boxes last, and discovered most of the "missing" cookbooks. Big problem is that I have nowhere to put them, so they're stacked up in the kitchen, dining room, and living room.

Hm. Just describing that seems like what's stalling me is that I have this slug of definite "keeps" and nowhere to put them. If I cull things down enough to put them away, maybe that will disperse the logjam -- maybe?

--
    Maybe that worked? I just went downstairs and had a flash about what to do with all the brochures and pamphlets. I have a swathe of war cooking books, frugal cooking, recipe booklets, etc. These are a PITA because they're hard to file in such a way that you can find them AND they're spineless. But being me, I have a lot of them. I looked at what was out that needed filing, the space, etc. and pulled out the preserving books and moved them to an empty shelf. I don't can, so I use these for recipes and inspiration. (I keep thinking I'll start canning too.)

Anyway, I have old library oak pamphlet boxes. I was trying to figure out the problem with the small stuff and went Doh! I have boxes which were made for this type of thing, and I filed the lot in one of the boxes. Added old 5 x7" indexes with pencil labels. They need better dividers, but all the booklets, etc. are put away and sorted. The canning books are all in one place. I used an empty pamphlet box, filled a shelf, and unstuffed an overstuffed shelf. Nothing to cull, but more order -- always good!

I have always loved books and read a lot. However, I am now getting them digitally. I parked down to 10 books. If I need anything I can look it up online.

Unfortunately, a lot of what I have isn't available digitallly and when it is, it's insanely expensive. I have housekeeping/frugality/cooking books/booklets back to before the Civil War. Most of them are in terrible condition, the only way I could afford them, so they're fragile. Many just aren't available digitally at all and when they've been scanned and are for sale? They're more expensive than the originals many times. Makes no sense to me, but I'm an old fashioned book dealer...

I don’t think the world realizes how much printed matter is NOT available in digital form.

Over the past year I have purchased a couple of printed books because I casually wanted to read them, and they weren’t in digital form. But I’m not gonna keep them.

Quote Originally Posted by NewGig View Post
    Unfortunately, a lot of what I have isn't available digitallly and when it is, it's insanely expensive. I have housekeeping/frugality/cooking books/booklets back to before the Civil War. Most of them are in terrible condition, the only way I could afford them, so they're fragile. Many just aren't available digitally at all and when they've been scanned and are for sale? They're more expensive than the originals many times. Makes no sense to me, but I'm an old fashioned book dealer...
    NewGig, help me understand please. I thought that you getting completely out of the book selling business. Am I confused or misinterpreting your intentions.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I am getting out of bookselling. You can take the shop and stock away from the bookseller, but not the bookseller out of the girl, so to speak. The books I"m talking about are my personal books. I am still selling and culling books, trying to get rid of the last of the store stock. But I'm the daughter of two people who met because they were book people. Mom was a book seller. Dad was a book collector. To say that I have book collecting in my veins is not an overstatement. I met my husband of 30+ years because I rented a 2 bedroom house -- I was going to have a library. Instead I ended up having a roommate for 90 days, or that was the plan.

Even with a greatly reduced collection, books are part of who I am and probably always will be.

pulled 4 mugs from the cupboard to donate. Not exactly a big space-saver, lol. We consolidated our tree ornaments, but didn't actually get rid of any, just packed them better, reducing the need for one box. Recycled a stack of small cardboard boxes we'd saved but don't need, and have a larger stack of sturdy boxes to give my SIL and DB. They are moving in place (Crap house that has limped along way past its expiration date, being replaced) but need to pack up everything.

Quote Originally Posted by NewGig View Post
    I am getting out of bookselling. You can take the shop and stock away from the bookseller, but not the bookseller out of the girl, so to speak. The books I"m talking about are my personal books. I am still selling and culling books, trying to get rid of the last of the store stock. But I'm the daughter of two people who met because they were book people. Mom was a book seller. Dad was a book collector. To say that I have book collecting in my veins is not an overstatement. I met my husband of 30+ years because I rented a 2 bedroom house -- I was going to have a library. Instead I ended up having a roommate for 90 days, or that was the plan.

Even with a greatly reduced collection, books are part of who I am and probably always will be.
    I culled a lot of my personal collection, but I still have about 500 books in my tiny house (I think that's what I had counted) and I'm comfortable with that amount. When I go into a house and I don't see any books, I wonder what is wrong with the people who live there. I can totally understand why you would always have a substantial book collection.

Thread Information