Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Presidential Address Tonight

I like the idea about seasonal work permits too. Isn't that what Canada does and it works out well?
    But....maybe we should also only eat things in season? Yeah, that would be a bummer.....but we're all buying everything all the time, year round.

dmc............you're right. Some of us "won't be happy regardless". I truly believe Trump doesn't give a crap about you or me. He is just filling his own needs. Why should we be happy with that?
    There were some times when I was disappointed with the "other guy" winning the presidency. But this is an entirely different set of circumstances..........and you can't compare it to anything.

WE are the laughing stock of the world right now.
    and to think back in 2013 they had such a high opinion of the U.S.

"In their annual End of Year poll, researchers for WIN and Gallup International surveyed more than 66,000 people across 65 nations and found that 24 percent of all respondents answered that the United States “is the greatest threat to peace in the world today.” "

http://www.ibtimes.com/gallup-poll-b...merica-1525008
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    But this is an entirely different set of circumstances..........and you can't compare it to anything.
    Actually, I think you could. I remember the left going on and on about Reagan when he was elected, and look how that turned out.

And, since this happened outside the bounds of short-term memory many folks won't realize it occurred, the Democrats absolutely hated and despised the first Republican ever elected to the Presidency, enough so to secede half the country from the Union. Of course, Trump's not a Republican, but the fear and loathing of him isn't unique.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I like the idea about seasonal work permits too. Isn't that what Canada does and it works out well?
    it seems a fairly sensible option yes, but sensible seems to have left the building in this country at this point (on all sides to a degree)

But....maybe we should also only eat things in season? Yeah, that would be a bummer.....but we're all buying everything all the time, year round.
    that is fine but it has nothing to do with whether it's picked by illegal immigrants, but yes non-seasonal eating does guarantee having to import a lot of food even with cheap illegal labor because everything is not in season in January.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yeah, I, personally would only have rotten black walnuts to eat in January (although I do freeze stuff from my garden). It would be sad to not have salads though.
    So many unfortunate choices have gone into making the present fabric that is the U.S. It's so hard to un-do just one of them without other parts falling apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Actually, you could. I remember the left going on and on about Reagan when he was elected, and look how that turned out.
    i remember hearing about how he was an intellectual lightweight who attended an unfashionable college, and was in no way equipped for the presidency. And a lot of that, early on, was from other Republicans. You also had the armchair psychoanalysts making diagnoses from what they saw on television. The New York Times was beside itself with indignation. Academics hissed and spit.

We should be so lucky that Trump becomes another Reagan.

You can't compare Trump in any way, shape or form to REagan. Also Reagan was a governor so had some experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    You can't compare Trump in any way, shape or form to REagan.
    I wasn't, I was comparing the reaction.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    We should be so lucky that Trump becomes another Reagan.
    Reagan tore down walls.

Well, they're saying the market liked the speech, with the DOW up 300 points today. . .

Thread Information