Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pancake Incident

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Also, relating to expanding horizons:...
    I have removed any financial restraint from food buying. I can afford whatever, so I am buying it if it aids my health quest. ....
    Good plan. I rarely limit myself when it comes to good quality food. I can scrimp elsewhere if I'm so inclined.

Still clean.

Congrats! I admire your discipline.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thanks! haha

It ain't exactly fun.

Keep up the good work (aka struggle) UA!

Hey UA, I feel your pain.

I love not having a (strict) food budget! I think that is the very first place we start to cut whenever we need to adjust spending, and sometimes that causes worse food choices. I know that I had to let go of nit picking my food budget in my quitting journey, I found that just eating junk food, sodas, etc. made the quitting process harder. I remember many years ago when we were fairly broke all the time yet my ex and I ate good food. We got some grief for that, and my answer was that people spend a tremendous amount of care and money on what goes ON their body but paid no attention or reasonable money on what goes IN their body.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Hey UA, I feel your pain.

I love not having a (strict) food budget! I think that is the very first place we start to cut whenever we need to adjust spending, and sometimes that causes worse food choices. I know that I had to let go of nit picking my food budget in my quitting journey, I found that just eating junk food, sodas, etc. made the quitting process harder. I remember many years ago when we were fairly broke all the time yet my ex and I ate good food. We got some grief for that, and my answer was that people spend a tremendous amount of care and money on what goes ON their body but paid no attention or reasonable money on what goes IN their body.
    Some good points there for sure. I definitely spend more money at the grocery buying exotic fruits (like dragonfruit). This helps keep appetite fatigue at bay.

I also know/think you meditate? I am doing a 365 challenge and just starting to see a life in my mood (yeah day 72 before I saw that). One way I saw the lift was in tasting and appreciating food. I also noticed yesterday when I was rushed to eat due to some stupidity in my main office I wanted to eat junkier food, when I was able to wait until I could sit at a table and at least half focus I was more interested in my healthy food. So many factors here.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    But sometimes I get incredible pizza cravings, and I'll order a pizza and eat the whole thing--especially when I'm on the road. Or, I've broken down and EVEN had a McDonald's burger and a shake when I'm particularly vulnerable, such as when I haven't eaten in a while. I think it's my brain craving fats AND carbs.

In that case, I generally give myself a pass--since I'm pretty good most of the time. So it might not be some moral defect, UA--it's probably something biological that's out of whack, like the balance of macronutrients at that particular time.
    It's not a moral defect (we're still Puritans at heart it seems), it's the siren call of insulin--it rises when you're under stress, as well as when you've eaten carbohydrates. It's really all genes and physiology, as much as we might like to pretend otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Some good points there for sure. I definitely spend more money at the grocery buying exotic fruits (like dragonfruit). This helps keep appetite fatigue at bay.
    When I am in weight loss mode, I really have to think about food more often. Think about: do I have a supply of low calorie fast snack type food on hand? Do I have a big batch of veg in hand, veg that I can cook up into multi meals? Is there a fast food solution close by? not traditional "fast food" of course, but a grocery store salad bar, a deli with low calorie choices, etc.

This week I found another (expensive!) food I can add to my list, expanding what I used to eat:deli prepared green beans, made in the Chinese way with soy sauce. Although I suspect they have more calories than I would like due to oil, it is a great deli food. But expensive at $6 lb. Last week I was starving as we ran into the grocery store for one item, and I grabbed a small box of red raspberries. $2.99! Ugh. But it was a low calorie lunch.

So expanding on your standard diet is good. Not everything needs to be expensive. One of my favorite low calorie foods is cooked cabbage, sliced and sauted with onions, garlic tomatoes, and sometimes hamburger.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-17-17 at 1:57pm.

Thread Information