Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hay from Iowa City!

Don't little critters like the hay or straw bales as well?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I have a friend who lived in a straw bale house, which as far as I know is still standing 20 or more years later. The bales need to be off the ground, like on concrete, and generally have a stucco finish. I think where I've seen them as skirts for mobile homes, they are some more temporary or even seasonal are are left pretty rough. I don't know if they have problems and would take a little research.

Further to NewGig's suggestion of letting the yard go to weeds, it might be a good idea to contact the State Weed Commissioners, to determine which weeds are considered to be noxious.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Don't little critters like the hay or straw bales as well?
    You should have seen the big holes under in the plastic rodent barrier covering the bottom. Rodents bigger than mice were up in there and I had to shove insulation back in before patching. They got in because there is either a root cellar or old well that was filled but settled causing the mobile home to drop on that end.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I have a friend who lived in a straw bale house, which as far as I know is still standing 20 or more years later. The bales need to be off the ground, like on concrete, and generally have a stucco finish. I think where I've seen them as skirts for mobile homes, they are some more temporary or even seasonal are are left pretty rough. I don't know if they have problems and would take a little research.
    Whenever I search something related to home building, I type green builder adviser behind it because I think Martin Holladay has great, or even the best advice regarding energy efficient home construction. When he wrote this article and suggested straw bale homes were a good choice, I was excited until I found this testimonial. Maybe it was the owners fault and I guess you can find negative's for anything on the net. But it was kind of disheartening..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rspw81VzwDQ
    Last edited by spazatac; 8-10-19 at 7:57pm.

Thread Information