Thread: Evacuation Day - NYC - 11/25/1783

Evacuation Day - NYC - 11/25/1783

The redcoats finally evacuated New York City, taking with them 27,000 white Loyalists and 3,000 black Loyalists (men who had been promised freedom from slavery if they would join the army of His Majesty King George III). General Carleton in effect reneged on an agreement in the Treaties of Paris to return these former slaves to their former owners.

The Loyalists were relocated to Nova Scotia, God Bless 'em.

General Washington triumphantly rode into New York, and a week later said farewell to the army, and went home to Martha.

Cheers!

I did not realize Nova Scotia was settled by so many on the Wrong side of right.

Friends. Come What May...
    Will you ever heave a sigh and a wish for me?

My 5th great grandfather was a prisoner of war in Nova Scotia and died the day after Christmas, 1776. . .

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    The redcoats finally evacuated New York City, taking with them 27,000 white Loyalists and 3,000 black Loyalists (men who had been promised freedom from slavery if they would join the army of His Majesty King George III). General Carleton in effect reneged on an agreement in the Treaties of Paris to return these former slaves to their former owners.

The Loyalists were relocated to Nova Scotia, God Bless 'em.

General Washington triumphantly rode into New York, and a week later said farewell to the army, and went home to Martha.

Cheers!
    they weren’t exactly relocated. They were dumped on largely uninhabited shores in winter. Many perished. People would be in jail if animals were treated the way we have treated humans through the years.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    they weren’t exactly relocated. They were dumped on largely uninhabited shores in winter. Many perished. People would be in jail if animals were treated the way we have treated humans through the years.
    And we're still doing so, more so lately.

I did not know about this history. I have Canadians on both sides of the family...wonder if they were part of this?

Thread Information