Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Charlottesville

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    No. Trophies for losers is an American phenomenon.
    Nonsense. Napoleon lost. William Wallace lost. Any number of fondly remembered losers have their monuments.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Yes. At least with regard to Washington.

https://almostchosenpeople.wordpress...falgar-square/
    Dude, you beat me to it.

We have one of these Houdin statues of Washington in my neighborhood park just two blocks from me. We all spend our own money to maintain and preserve it, the city cannot afford to take care of statuary. The latest fix up of George was to recast and install his walking stick.

I vaguely remembered that there was one of these statues (there are six in the world) in Europe, but i was thinking it was in France. Glad to see it is promenantly placed in London.

IMG_1302.jpg

Can we even say the statues were historical and should remain for that reason without knowing the historical background of why and when they were put up? I don't think so. Some statues that I've read about being taken down were put up in fairly modern times (at least into the 20th century) for explicitly racist reasons by explicitly racist groups. So their whole purpose was divisiveness. Not that the statue really had that much to do with it, you don't have those types of rally because you are concerned about historical preservation.

Peaceful protest it wasn't, and not just in some vague way of some alleged violence who knew who it came from etc.., I mean groups were literally fighting each other in the streets, while the cops did not interfere. Trump is an idiot but it seems to me there was a heck of a lot of stuff being managed badly by the local law enforcement that is a lot more immediately relevant. Outside agitators there may have been, possibly on all sides, but note some people are so quick to charge that the counter-protestors were outside agitators but the white power folks were natives. If true it wouldn't say much good at all, so the racists are all natives? Uh congrats ....
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    And????
    He needed the same thing that Hillary, or any of the other candidates needed. Enough votes from the electorate. We don't have a system for us who think none of the candidates were good.
    But that is separate from violence over a statue I think.
    And, if the racist thug vote weren't enough, he had the Russian hacker vote to push him across the finish line.

Lets see, Air B n B can cut off business from people whose ideology they dont like, but bakers have to serve people whose idealogy they dont like.

That doesnt seem consistent to me.

there is no evidence of any voting machines being hacked by Russians.
    Trees don't grow on money

And????
    He needed the same thing that Hillary, or any of the other candidates needed. Enough votes from the electorate. We don't have a system for us who think none of the candidates were good.
    But that is separate from violence over a statue I think.
    And he actively courted their vote and now he won't call their behavior unacceptable because they are his most reliable supporters. Without them he doesn't have many left.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    there is no evidence of any voting machines being hacked by Russians.
    Who needs evidence? Emotion doesn't, maybe they could use that schools name and form a "Lynch" mob.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    And he actively courted their vote and now he won't call their behavior unacceptable because they are his most reliable supporters. Without them he doesn't have many left.
    So? How many presidents needed popularity while in office? That to me seems to be more about after office and the value of speaking/book deals, etc.

Yppej
    I learned something today about the Washington statues. Thank you. I stlll wouldn't want one of Lee in my city, and I liked seeing those of Communist dictators and Saddam Hussein get toppled.

Who needs evidence? Emotion doesn't, maybe they could use that schools name and form a "Lynch" mob.

So? How many presidents needed popularity while in office? That to me seems to be more about after office and the value of speaking/book deals, etc.
    So it doesn't bother you that we have a white nationalist president?

Thread Information