Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Social media really can help society.....

I need a body cam. A Boston police officer took $10 from me yesterday. I won the front nine, but he won the back, total and I pressed on 17 and lost that also.

maybe I can get his pension revoked.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    To be assaulted by a police officer like that should warrant $250 million so as to have insurance companies clamp down on police departments everywhere and force them to knuckle under to the rule of the law.
    That's not how the world works. There's generally a 10:1 limit to punitive damages over the real compensatory damages awarded. Generally any greater amount has been found to violate due process.

I don't see $1 million of damages to the nurse during the arrest process.

Thank Goodness for social media in the case of the nurse who was illegally and unconstitutionally assaulted by an officer in Salt Lake City, UT. They are getting so many calls that their recording says not to expect individualized call backs.....I have a feeling they are a bit overwhelmed with the amount of public response to their sheer evil they once would have gotten away with. Thankfully those days are over and more and more people are standing up to officers such as the ones in question - ruining pension accumulations and shortening careers in the name of protecting human life and human dignity.

I just hope this nurse refuses any gag order and she doesn't settle for a penny less than $100 million. Rob
    why don't you make it a billion?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I've never auto-sided with the police. I've not auto-sided against them either.
    Bae, wonderful news! It has come to the attention of the 85006 police brutality phone tree leaders that: The officer in question in Salt Lake City, UT was fired. Phew! I'm so so so grateful! This of course will have no bearing whatsoever on the outcome of the nurse's lawsuit BUT at least this POS has been stripped of his badge, his officer powers, and will not be accruing further pension monies. It's not over yet but it's a good start! Gotta say I'm impressed too with the speed of which this officer was given the heave-ho. We need to see more of this going forward if the public is to ever trust the police again, which I doubt can realistically happen in my lifetime (maybe a few generations down the road?) Rob

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    why don't you make it a billion?
    Please don't minimize the illegal and inexcusable actions of this officer in this way. We both know a billion dollars is asking for too much.......the point is a whopper of a settlement to put fear into the hearts of police chiefs nationwide and make them realize that they are not above the law and neither are the officers that report to them. That's the whole point of a mega settlement.....to strike fear into the hearts of police chiefs (and insurance companies, too) and thereby save human life from psychotic officers. It's really quite humane and practical and pretty much common sense given what American police have sunk to. Rob

Bae, wonderful news! It has come to the attention of the 85006 police brutality phone tree leaders that: The officer in question in Salt Lake City, UT was fired. Phew! I'm so so so grateful! This of course will have no bearing whatsoever on the outcome of the nurse's lawsuit
    I suspect it will indeed have a bearing on whatever lawsuit she chooses to pursue. Where did you go to law school?

BUT at least this POS
    He's a flawed human being, not a "piece of shit". He clearly has anger management issues, was frustrated and having a bad day, and lost it. He likely also had inadequate training and supervision.

Gotta say I'm impressed too with the speed of which this officer was given the heave-ho.
    Which, given the general process needed and the union involvement, says quite a bit. And will likely say quite a bit when it comes to the nurse pursuing her case.

I suspect it will indeed have a bearing on whatever lawsuit she chooses to pursue. Where did you go to law school?

He's a flawed human being, not a "piece of shit". He clearly has anger management issues, was frustrated and having a bad day, and lost it. He likely also had inadequate training and supervision.

Which, given the general process needed and the union involvement, says quite a bit. And will likely say quite a bit when it comes to the nurse pursuing her case.
    Backing up.....it's not 100% sure that this officer was fired. There seem to be conflicting reports surfacing out there and I personally, and think you would agree Bae, think it's best to wait for a formal statement from the Salt Lake City PD itself.....so far the Salt Lake City PD has not verified termination of this officer. Rob

Please don't minimize the illegal and inexcusable actions of this officer in this way. We both know a billion dollars is asking for too much.......the point is a whopper of a settlement to put fear into the hearts of police chiefs nationwide and make them realize that they are not above the law and neither are the officers that report to them. That's the whole point of a mega settlement.....to strike fear into the hearts of police chiefs (and insurance companies, too) and thereby save human life from psychotic officers. It's really quite humane and practical and pretty much common sense given what American police have sunk to. Rob
    And a 100 million is resonable? One is just as silly as he other.

I'll buy that this is a flawed human being we are talking about here but my question is then this: Why are such people not screened out better during the hiring process given the nature of the situations they will encounter and the nature of the decisions they will have to make while in uniform? Rob

Something I understand about the nurse involved - apparently she's a two time Olympian? Ay carumba, talk about a network she must have! This was an unwise choice of victim for this police officer......putting it mildly. I hope police officers NATIONWIDE rethink such behaviors going forward and if they honestly can't knuckle under and work within the confines of the law, voluntarily move on instead of placing human life and human rights and human dignity at risk.

Maybe we need thrice-annual mental health screening (perhaps this is not often enough though?) for ALL police officers going forward so as to better protect the public from out of control officers on a rampage? Can anyone come up with something better if this does not suit? Rob

Thread Information