Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Protesting is so good for the soul.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    So, there is no redemption possible in Rob's World?
    I and the other protesters of the 85006 (actually to be fair, protesters came from all over the Valley, and not just my zip code) are not seeing behavior from United Airlines that would in any way justify the smallest chance at redemption. Best thing that could happen now is for the brand to go belly up and sell their planes to competitors for pennies on the dollar. I can't see justice being served any other way due to the actions of the United Airlines Brand which not only speak louder than words but scream from rooftops and can be heard from thousands of miles away - even in China there is much anger regarding the United Airlines Brand, and I'm very pleased and grateful to see this. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Iceland Air has bumped me every single leg of this trip so far. To First Class. It's very odd- they have called me up to the counter after I am checked at in, usually just a few minutes before boarding. My only theory is that they had an empty 1st class seat, and throw it at me because they are nice people. I performed an emergency in-air medical intervention on one of their flights in Feb, perhaps they flagged me? Anyways, they are now my favorite airline.
    I flew Iceland Air for my trip to Europe when I was 20 that my family in Austria paid for. I remember liking them - they were generous with food and beverage, too - but this was 30 years ago this May that I flew them. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I and the other protesters of the 85006 (actually to be fair, protesters came from all over the Valley, and not just my zip code) are not seeing behavior from United Airlines that would in any way justify the smallest chance at redemption. Best thing that could happen now is for the brand to go belly up and sell their planes to competitors for pennies on the dollar. I can't see justice being served any other way due to the actions of the United Airlines Brand which not only speak louder than words but scream from rooftops and can be heard from thousands of miles away - even in China there is much anger regarding the United Airlines Brand, and I'm very pleased and grateful to see this. Rob
    What about the city of Chicago? Shouldn't you also be demanding the mayor be thrown out, arrested, and sued? And let's not forget about his pension.

United handled this badly, but this is will soon be forgotten by the majority of travelers.

I am a little curious about your protest party's. Do the 85006 look at protesting as a social function? Do they have a committe to chose what the next protest is going to be for? Do they sell T shirts proclaiming their zip code?

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    What about the city of Chicago? Shouldn't you also be demanding the mayor be thrown out, arrested, and sued? And let's not forget about his pension.

United handled this badly, but this is will soon be forgotten by the majority of travelers.

I am a little curious about your protest party's. Do the 85006 look at protesting as a social function? Do they have a committe to chose what the next protest is going to be for? Do they sell T shirts proclaiming their zip code?
    I, too, am surprised that the OP isn't framing this as another police brutality incident. The airport police, the higher ups including Mayor Ram, and ultimately the taxpayers should pay for this outrage.Or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Here's a great article about the "between the lines" of this incident written by a pilot's wife

https://thepilotwifelife.wordpress.c...t-flight-3411/

While the action of the security team (who were NOT United employees BTW) seem extreme, the article does help explain what led to it.

I admit to being a bit of an apologist for United. I just received my million mile card from them. Rob, I understand the anger and the whole "evil corporation" thing, but I just don't see United as evil. They completely botched the PR in this incidence, but to be honest, if I were to protest a corporation for wrong-doing, there would be several other companies in line before United.

(But, in line with the topic, I signed up for the Climate March on Washington on April 29 and I'm looking forward to it, and I'm glad they won't be checking my credentials for my in-flight carbon footprint because I might get hung from the Washington monument.)
    The problem with her perspective is that she ignored the one thing United could have done to solve the problem without resorting to the threat of government violence (and follow through of that threat) to enforce a civil contract. Bump up the offer to the point that someone will accept. If $800 flight credot doesnt cut it maybe $1000 cash or $1500 cash will. As onerously one sided as united's contract is with its customers it should be their duty to offer whatever it takes to get volunteers if they need to bump people. Taking the cheap way out that they did is about as anti-capitalist as can be.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    What happened to the other 3?
    Presumably they grudgingly accepted the "offer". Personally i wouldnt really call it an offer if the alternative to not accepting it is having the government carry out violence against you.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The problem with her perspective is that she ignored the one thing United could have done to solve the problem without resorting to the threat of government violence (and follow through of that threat) to enforce a civil contract. Bump up the offer to the point that someone will accept. If $800 flight credot doesnt cut it maybe $1000 cash or $1500 cash will. As onerously one sided as united's contract is with its customers it should be their duty to offer whatever it takes to get volunteers if they need to bump people. Taking the cheap way out that they did is about as anti-capitalist as can be.
    I do agree with that. I few hundred lousy bucks would have saved them a ton of money lost in angry customers.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    You might want to go back and reread her.
    There are clauses in that contract, that are federally regulated rules (getting the flight crew to their plane to not delay air traffic). They enforced the contract, via a clause they have a legal argument and responsibility to use. If they didn't, and they delayed too long, then they are in violation of federal law.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    You might want to go back and reread her.
    There are clauses in that contract, that are federally regulated rules (getting the flight crew to their plane to not delay air traffic). They enforced the contract, via a clause they have a legal argument and responsibility to use. If they didn't, and they delayed too long, then they are in violation of federal law.
    All the more reason to bump up the offer and get someone to volunteer so that they could get on with flying the plane. Government force isnt the right way to get your customers to do something. Offering up enough money is.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-unite...134223391.html

And as this article points out, the rules for bumping a passenger PRIOr TO BOARDING are dufferent from the rules allowing them to deplane someone who has legitimately been boarded. Untied appears to have breached their own toghtly worded contract of carriage when they did this.

Thread Information