Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rep and Dem indivisible groups

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar

Rep and Dem indivisible groups

Where I live it is about 30% split dem/rep/ind. Trump won our area, I think largely because the republican base was far more organized and vocal, and there was a widespread distaste for Hillary.

Anyway, two local indivisible groups, one started by a Repub group and one started by dems, are going to the local congressional town hall. They are meeting in the same place, basically have the same issues, and will march to the office together. Both are encouraging respectfulness and mature discourse. Lots of us independents are tagging along with either. Because we are all Americans.

The main issues are replacing the ACA before repeal, immigration reform (the right way, which should have been done all along) , women's access to reproductive health care. One of the fears both groups voice is many women are poorer than men, and need the services given through the ACA and planned parenthood. Not necessarily abortion, mind you, but birth control, mammograms, cancers screenings and so on. Should make for an interesting day.

There is just so much name calling and hate out there. I truly hope we can salvage the best of both major parties and move forward.

Hey OP, I didnt even know there ARE Republican
    indivisible groups! Interesting.

Working together is great! I joined our local group too.

It will be interesting to see if the left's town hall outrage, civil or not, can be translated into Tea Party style political influence. The Tea Partiers seemed to primarily oppose a system they saw saw as being run by an elite for the benefit of an elite, and against the tottering jenga tower of the ACA, with it's mandates, waivers and ill-planned design. This ultimately helped transfer a huge amount of power at all levels of government. The left seems almost completely fixated on one person. What happens when that one person is removed from the scene? There also seem to be many tribes within the "resistance" looking for many different things from government that government may be ill-equipped to provide. It will be interesting to see if they can sustain anything like a united front.

It would be very encouraging if these groups worked out.

What is immigration reform the right way? Maybe something like amnesty for those that are already here, and enforcing it via employers and something like a national id card afterward? It's such a contentious issue that good luck with ever getting any consensus on immigration.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Hey OP, I didnt even know there ARE Republican
    indivisible groups! Interesting.
    there are so many people who cannot relate to,the far left or far right. Middle of the road Or more moderates of their party. Some don't like Trumps manner, but do like republican policies overall. And many are fearful of health insurance going away before a good plan is in place (like they said they had for what, seven years? ) and the rich getting richer in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    It will be interesting to see if the left's town hall outrage, civil or not, can be translated into Tea Party style political influence. The Tea Partiers seemed to primarily oppose a system they saw saw as being run by an elite for the benefit of an elite, and against the tottering jenga tower of the ACA, with it's mandates, waivers and ill-planned design. This ultimately helped transfer a huge amount of power at all levels of government. The left seems almost completely fixated on one person. What happens when that one person is removed from the scene? There also seem to be many tribes within the "resistance" looking for many different things from government that government may be ill-equipped to provide. It will be interesting to see if they can sustain anything like a united front.
    The ones causing themoutrage on age on both sides are the minority. Labels are not doing any help. What about Americans

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    What is immigration reform the right way? Maybe something like amnesty for those that are already here, and enforcing it via employers and something like a national id card afterward? It's such a contentious issue that good luck with ever getting any consensus on immigration.
    thought out and and well planned with thoughtful input from all sides. You do realize some of the people who will be deported have been here through many administrations and congresses. We have done a great disfavor by not dealing with it. People who manage to sneak in get preference over those who try legally? Have a baby and you get to stay? I think there is so much to it there is no easy solution. I fear many law abiding people who have worked in fields and meat packing houses, paid their bills, paid taxes will get caught up in all this due to parking ticket like offenses.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    I fear many law abiding people who have worked in fields and meat packing houses, paid their bills, paid taxes will get caught up in all this due to parking ticket like offenses.
    More likely for being in the country illegally.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information