Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too many catastrophes....perfect time for a bomb?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    The Ohio-class subs out of Bangor, WA are still silently, calmly cruising the Pacific, uninvolved in the disaster response effort, and any one of them is capable of turning North Korea into a glowing crater.
    That's good to know. I'm just thinking that when there are several disasters happening at The same time, where do we get the resources to take care of them all?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    That's good to know. I'm just thinking that when there are several disasters happening at The same time, where do we get the resources to take care of them all?

As Bae will tell you, in medicine, you do a triage. (do things in an orderly fashion of what you can fix that is the worst, what you can't and let it/them die while trying to ease pain, and let the rest wait)

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    The Ohio-class subs out of Bangor, WA are still silently, calmly cruising the Pacific, uninvolved in the disaster response effort, and any one of them is capable of turning North Korea into a glowing crater.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    As Bae will tell you, in medicine, you do a triage. (do things in an orderly fashion of what you can fix that is the worst, what you can't and let it/them die while trying to ease pain, and let the rest wait)
    But that's what I'm saying….If you're trying to destroy the most people it would be to drop a bomb when all these other disasters are going on.

But that's what I'm saying….If you're trying to destroy the most people it would be to drop a bomb when all these other disasters are going on.

That makes no sense, that just rearranges the triage.

To put things in context the federal budget is nearly $3 trillion. The request that the president has made for relief efforts for Harvey is $14 billion, a little less than .5% of the total budget. That's not even close to sucking up all our resources. And the people involved in hurricane efforts are not the same people who would/are dealing with the issue of North Korea. With over 320 million people living in the US there are plenty of non-military bodies available for hurricane assistance, leaving the trained military personnel to do their thing if need be. It would take many multiples of Harvey before we would have any sort of lessened readiness militarily. Surely Kim can do the same math I just did and realize that now is not any better of a time for attack than tomorrow or next month.

Thanks for that explanation jp1.

Jane, are you referring to Kim Jong Un or Trump? ..... could be either one!

Rogar...I was thinking that a smart enemy would see that these disasters are taking up a lot of our resources and it might be a good time to get us while we're down.
    North Korea has been blustering for years, with no result. Most adult leaders in the West have historically given its threats all the attention they deserve. Now we have Trump et al baiting Kim Jong Un and ramping up the tension. They're two peas in a pod, in my estimation--but Trump only dreams of Un's authority.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    North Korea has been blustering for years, with no result. Most adult leaders in the West have historically given its threats all the attention they deserve. Now we have Trump et al baiting Kim Jong Un and ramping up the tension. They're two peas in a pod, in my estimation--but Trump only dreams of Un's authority.
    How true.

Williamsmith
    Perhaps the best insight into North Korea is by Suki Kim. Here is a tedtalk from several years ago but it seems accurate to date. North Korea was created arbitrarily by the division of Korea after WW2 by Russia and the United States.

https://www.ted.com/talks/suki_kim_t...ge=en#t-740872

Thread Information