Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: For the Downton Abbey Junkies out there

Ack!

Here we can watch it as a group at the local movie theater. It's all done up for Downton, too. Every thursday night. Too bad it keeps DS up or we would go.

BTW, those are hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by redfox View Post
    ha, I came upstairs right this moment from watching Ep 3, Season 2 of Downton. I'm always behind on these things.

I agree with one of the comments below this article: Downton jumped the shark after Season 1 and Matthew/Mary are boring. I can't remember why she threw him over in the last episode of that last season, and now she seems to want him back (?) Fickle airhead.

The actress who plays Mary had a role in Anna Karenina which is playing in theaters right now.

I still don't rate it as THE best PBS series ever (according to my PBS station). It's good, the settings and costumes are great, and Dame Maggie is good as ever. But better than Upstairs, Downstairs? I think more people are watching DA because there isn't much on regular tv at the moment. Word of mouth and streaming episodes online made it bigger as well. I don't see what all the hype is about.

Quote Originally Posted by pony mom View Post
    I still don't rate it as THE best PBS series ever (according to my PBS station). It's good, the settings and costumes are great, and Dame Maggie is good as ever. But better than Upstairs, Downstairs? I think more people are watching DA because there isn't much on regular tv at the moment. Word of mouth and streaming episodes online made it bigger as well. I don't see what all the hype is about.
    It's been a few years since I watched Upstairs Downstairs on dvd, but it's easily as good as Downton Abbey considering the huge limitation of budget that UD had in comparison to DA. DA has such gorgeous indoor and outdoor sets, shooting locations, and a very large cast to keep things interesting.

Besides, I have always preferred Duchess of Duke Street to Upstairs Downstairs. I loved Luisa's clothes and I always liked the dramatic opportunities inherent in a series set in a hotel--lots of guests coming and going and lots of possibilities there.

I loved the Duch of DS, too.

I have last year's Christmas episode of DA AND the whole second series recorded, but haven't had time to watch. Today, my newspaper said that this Christmas' episode has been timed to overlap with the Christmas episode of Call the Midwife ( i hate it when the Beeb and ITV do that!) so that'll be another taped episode! I really must make the time to view.

Iris Lily, you've done it again! I've never seen ( or heard of) The Duchess of Duke Street. It sounds like something I would really enjoy! You have put me onto so many books and movies! Thanks! It is now at the top of my Neflix queue.

Quote Originally Posted by Florence View Post
    Iris Lily, you've done it again! I've never seen ( or heard of) The Duchess of Duke Street. It sounds like something I would really enjoy! You have put me onto so many books and movies! Thanks! It is now at the top of my Neflix queue.
    Oh goo! I just hope that Louisa's Cockney talk and rough manner doesn't turn you off. I think she's great, but some people can't stand the actress' portrayal.

We just watched last Thursday's Colbert Report that we had recorded....
    A silly skit of Downton Abbey meets Breaking Bad:

Click the top video
    WARNING - THERE ARE CURSE WORDS
    http://splitsider.com/2012/12/late-n...-martin-short/

Thread Information