Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New hobby

Also: It is super fun to take a pump shotgun and shoot clays. All the shucking makes it action-packed!

I often took my BPS out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    You will have unprecedented amounts of fun!

I went clay shooting in all weather -- even heavy snow. It makes it feel like an adventure. I have taken numerous liberal friends out shooting sporting clays too. They all reluctantly loved it. haha

Also: My dad gave my sister an older .410 side-by-side. I borrowed it a handful of times to shoot sporting clays. Really fun, but really challenging.

I have also taken a 20 gauge coach gun to shoot clays. I was zinging them left and right handed. People were like "nice shootin', you silly ass!" and "Are you confused?!" lol

I am left eye dominant but right handed, so I can shoot either hand -- but when I shoot right-handed I close my left eye. I prefer shooting left handed though because I like both eyes open.

Shocked. I was trying to find the post, where you went off and ranted about your father, and you talked about being antigun.
    As to eye dominance thing, I found my handedness and eye dominance is opposite (but not for everybody), but I found I shoot (with a pistol), much tighter groupings, with the hand on my dominant eye side, so I tend to train with that hand. (and I prefer pistols that are truly ambidextrous)

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Shocked. I was trying to find the post, where you went off and ranted about your father, and you talked about being antigun.
    Uh... my feelings about guns are nuanced. I would not consider myself anti-gun.
    But I don't like American gun culture. It is nutty as hell.

I like shooting sporting clays. And if someone offers me the chance to go waterfowl hunting -- I am there! I love a good duck soup from a mallard I harvested myself.

My dad is, unfortunately, part of the nutty gun culture of the US. I am critical of him for this.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    As to eye dominance thing, I found my handedness and eye dominance is opposite (but not for everybody), but I found I shoot (with a pistol), much tighter groupings, with the hand on my dominant eye side, so I tend to train with that hand. (and I prefer pistols that are truly ambidextrous)
    I prefer shooting left handed because my left eye is dominant and I can keep both eyes open. I am not a pistol or rifle shooter really.
    If you have a system that you prefer, that is great!

Fortunately I am right handed and right eye dominate. The gun is actually set up for a right handed shooter, cast and palm swell. I’ll just need the LOP and comb height tweeked. I have several other shotguns, over and unders, autos, and pumps. But this one is set up for sporting clays. And I thought it was nice looking.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    And I thought it was nice looking.
    It really is!

If shooting clays was not so pricey and if I did not have to drive 45 mins to the nearest range, I would still go.

If money was no concern, I would probably get one of these and shoot three times a week!

http://Super Black Eagle II Shotgun - Left Hand

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Fortunately I am right handed and right eye dominate.
    That certainly makes it easier!

Sorry for the serial posts, but I was thinking that sporting clays shooting would be a fun way to "dirt bag."

Like get a camper van (homemade or otherwise), equip it with the basics, and take your shotgun to travel the US and Canada. You could stop in every state and province to try out new courses and so forth.

It'd be a cool way to spend a year or two.

Shot in a tournament today. I hit 70/100. I didn’t come close to winning, I’m not sure what won as I didn’t stay around, but there were several in the high 80’s. The wind was giving everyone some fits, might have helped me.

several commented that I had obviously done this before, well I did have a couple of lessons. And I didn’t come in last!

Thread Information