Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Migrant Caravan.

Cathy, the welfare system helps people find jobs that are year round and steady so they get off of welfare. Making them work in the fields is not a viable long term solution out of poverty. However, they are jobs for immigrants first coming into our country before they get established or illegals.

I feel the U.S. has an obligation to these refugees, as our government's interference in Central America has been the source of much of the violence and hardship.

We're willing to support dictators and the military in El Salvador and Guatemala, and then when people are fleeing for their lives we want to wash our hands of them.

I would rather my tax dollars be spent on helping refugees build new lives than on the U.S military, which seems bent on creating more refugees everywhere it goes.

What can I do? Call Congress, the Senate, write letters, speak out.

Given the current toxic regime in this country--Miller, Bannon, Gorka, Trump--I suggest we either remove the Statue of Liberty or cover it with something appropriate, perhaps the neo-nazi Schutzstaffel or the Celtic cross flag. It's clearly served its purpose. Immigrants are what made this country a beacon to the rest of the world--especially the despised ones, who came here with nothing and transformed themselves and their adopted country in a generation or two. Anyone who wants to pull up the gangplanks now (another shining example of "I've got mine, to hell with you!") should be ashamed of themselves.

Do a little research and learn that www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2017/12/04/almost-half-of-fortune-500-companies-were-founded-by-american-immigrants-or-their-children/immigrants are starting companies at well above their (tiny) representation in the population:

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Given the current toxic regime in this country--Miller, Bannon, Gorka, Trump--I suggest we either remove the Statue of Liberty or cover it with something appropriate, perhaps the neo-nazi Schutzstaffel or the Celtic cross flag. It's clearly served its purpose. Immigrants are what made this country a beacon to the rest of the world--especially the despised ones, who came here with nothing and transformed themselves and their adopted country in a generation or two. Anyone who wants to pull up the gangplanks now (another shining example of "I've got mine, to hell with you!") should be ashamed of themselves.

Do a little research and learn that www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2017/12/04/almost-half-of-fortune-500-companies-were-founded-by-american-immigrants-or-their-children/immigrants are starting companies at well above their (tiny) representation in the population:
    When I visited Europe with my Mother back in 2015, on the portion of trip outside of Austria, I was on a flight from Vienna to Lisbon and from Lisbon to Madrid on TAP Portugal (a fairly decent airline btw) and a male Portuguese flight attendant and I were flirting - long story I won't go into but how this ties in is that Romao said to me that France should take the Statue of Liberty back, given how America treats refugees these days. And this was back in 2015.....I agreed with him and this got me a bottle of Portuguese chilled white wine on the house (not why I agreed but it was a nice touch).

Even before Trump there was international awareness of this issue (also for Australia, too, which takes mistreatment of refugees levels higher than the US does)....and this was on Obama's watch, liberal that I am I admit this here and now. Rob

It's a difficult issue, for sure. I wish we could have reasonable, humane laws that were upheld, with everyone in mind.

I have trouble with all of the increasing population.........no matter where it comes from. I'm a country person and see so much crazy development/traffic, etc. that never seems to end. I need space around me. I can go for days/weeks without talking to anyone. So I don't like the idea of any people constantly flooding into our country/state/county. Yes, our government makes some horrible choices in terms of where our money goes. I'm just very unhappy about what is happening in so many areas of this planet. It doesn't mean I'm not grateful for what I have, because I am. But on the other hand, I don't want to lose it either. I can feel sorry for others, while still not wanting to lose my way of life.

There is no answer to any of this. So even though I initially disagreed with UL on just focusing on my own little corner of the world, I guess that's what I'll do. Everything else seems futile to change. It's funny, when we bought this piece of rural property about 36 years ago, the seller advertised it as "A Little Bit of Heaven"........which it is, in a very rustic way. But it will probably be a city by the time I die. I will be glad to be leaving.

Anyhow.......I'm just overwhelmed with humankind and all the unfortunate choices that most of them seem to make.

Yppej
    If lifelong US citizens had guaranteed affordable health care I wouldn't be so inclined to begrudge it to folks just off the boat. Charity begins at home.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    If lifelong US citizens had guaranteed affordable health care I wouldn't be so inclined to begrudge it to folks just off the boat. Charity begins at home.
    we also need to think about our own natural disaster refugees. The devastating floods and winds from the recent hurricanes have destroyed $22 billion from Florence in property damage alone plus the Michael damage. 90% of the cotton crop and 40% of the peanut crop in Florida was destroyed. Tyndall Air Force base was destroyed
    getting these people out of shelters, schools back open or helping them get to relatives and friends should be a big priority. There is no place for people to shop, live or work

there are are more than 13,000 migrant children being detained in various camps, foster homes and shelters at taxpayer expense.

8-10% of the us citizens have no health insurance.

we have plenty of problems just meeting these residents needs, and we are taking on debt hand over fist.

It all just doesn’t add up to me as a sustainable way of running the country.

Good post, flowerseverywhere. I agree with you. We have so many problems to deal with. I just don't see how we can keep adding more and more. As you said, it's just not sustainable.

I find it interesting that this issue pops up just in time to use to "rally the base" and distract people.

It's great to have a horde of "others" approaching the border to really pep up the nationalists!

We can afford plenty if we put our money in the correct places. Huge tax breaks for the rich could help a lot of people as could all the money we give in foreign aid.

Thread Information