Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Foraging foods in your region?

Depending on season: Mushrooms (although I leave final ID-ing of some to my other half, as I am OK with the very common varieties, but less so with others!) brambles (blackberries),wild sorrel (known as soorock in Scotland), wild garlic, sloes (to make sloe gin), elderflowers and elderberries, blaeberriees.

At the beach: samphire, mussels and spoots (aka razor clams)

For us urbanites in dense, SE Seattle... Mushrooms, wild & feral fruit, wild greens, and nuts. It's fun! And, flowers, branches, ferns, etc. for beauty in arrangements.

we too are urban, so a field full of blackberries are a blessing! I did see a PBS show on a class they offered on the Oregon coast on foraging. It was such an amazing show, from tidal pools to road side greens, then they took all their finds back to a kitchen and made lunch. I thought this looked like the best kind of fun!!

I've been doing some foraging lately and have found wild tarragon, chamomile (for tea), lots of wild greens like purslane that make great green smoothies, sorrel, rhubarb, raspberries, rose hips, burdock, asparagus. One of the local parks used to be a farm and there are apples and hops there.

The bay nuts are here - a full 6 weeks early. Time to forage!

I would forage much more if I were more educated in it. Right now, in suburbia, foraging dandelions is very doable--one man's lawn pest is another man's salad. Other than that, I'm afraid to forage mushrooms, and I don't see any nuts or berries around. I need a forage coach.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Saturday was a forager's dream day. A friend (who knows her mushrooms) and I went looking for King Bolete mushrooms up on the flank of the local 14er (Mt. Evans) We brought in about a plastic shopping bag's worth of these fantastic meaty gems, and in addition to dehydrating a bunch of them for the winter, we made a pasta dish with fresh wild mushrooms, butter, garlic, onion, tuscan kale, a splash of white wine, a sprinkle of really good old parmesan cheese. One of the best meals I can remember in a long time. Now I want to go find some more!

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    The bay nuts are here - a full 6 weeks early. Time to forage!
    Gardenarian, what's a bay nut?

Thread Information