Thread: Why every statue should come down

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Are most statues really art? Or, simply a prize handed out like ribbons in kid's races?
    I saw the statue of David in Florence by Michelangelo and was awe-struck at how much feeling and movement the body conveyed. Not fair to compare most statues to the one of David though.

As I mentioned at the outset, the article triggered a lot of thought about the purpose of statues.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Are most statues really art? Or, simply a prize handed out like ribbons in kid's races?
    I saw the statue of David in Florence by Michelangelo and was awe-struck at how much feeling and movement the body conveyed. Not fair to compare most statues to the one of David though.

As I mentioned at the outset, the article triggered a lot of thought about the purpose of statues.
    Yes it is public art. That’s what the Victorians liked. Just because these Victorian statues are more recent than the David statue doesn’t make them any less Art. They may be less important art, but they are still Art with a capital A.

Sculptors spent years making these big bronze likenesses of people around our town. Yes they are artists, they studied art, anatomy, etc.

The Story of Harriet Hosmer, a Victorian woman who was a sculptor associated with st.Louis who worked in Italy, should convince you they are creating art:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harriet_Hosmer

She created a huge and important statue also in my neighborhood park, The statue of Thomas Hart Benton who was an important St. Louis political figure. I contributed $5000 a dozen years ago towards its renovation. While it’s not my favorite piece of statuary, it is the one that was undergoing renovation at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Yes it is public art. That’s what the Victorians liked. Just because these Victorian statues are more recent than the David statue doesn’t make them any less Art. They may be less important art, but they are still Art with a capital A.
    Being art, is subject to interpretation, IMHO. To me statues are just big pieces of concrete/marble/bronze, etc, that are a memorial to an idea of someone that meant something to them, but to me, are just places for pigeons to sit (or spelled a bit different).
    They are much a remembrance of time in the same way their subject matter is a remembrance of time.

Being British equestrian statues, I would not be surprised to see someone saying Camilla Parker Bowles could have been placed under the queen mother.

Thread Information