Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: October Purge

Yppej
    I got rid of a few worn linens but have not done much. With full employment in my area the commute gets worse and worse and the service at businesses is also deteriorating. Last night it was too underperforming people in the supermarket checkout who held me up for 15 minutes. But places that pay lower wages are losing their better staff. I noticed it at the doctor's office this week too. New staff never ordered the shingles shot I had requested. So by the time I get home I do not feel like decluttering.

When I worked f.t. I never decluttered during the weeks. It was too much. I would do it on the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    When I worked f.t. I never decluttered during the weeks. It was too much. I would do it on the weekends.
    I agree. I'm usually so tired by the time I get home from work, that decluttering is the LAST thing I want to do! But I'm hoping my renewed motivation lasts for a little while. There is still a lot I want/need to get done. lol.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I agree about being tired, besides where exactly are you supposed to take stuff after work to leave it off, thrifts aren't actually open for donations at that time etc. (though they are for shopping). So at best you put stuff in a pile to *actually* get rid of on the weekend anyway! I don't find it that big a chore, except the taking stuff places part, and not that big, but it is an outing and places do have to be open. I don't want to do anything on the weekdays at all, but I cook, I go to the gym, it's all forcing myself, I'm tired and don't want to do anything really ...
    Trees don't grow on money

Bummer ANM, our goodwill is open for donations whenever it’s open, so I can drop stuff on the way home from work.

two days a week I usually go in late, so I can drop on the way to work then.

i try really hard not to drive on weekends. If we are doing something fun, dh usually drives.

This month I got rid of the last of the Lily Society's show equipment. The last background panels went to our local Ikebana professor. DH drove 7 tubs of stuff up to Iowa to hand off to the Iowa lily club. While I have some items around my house still, I have a planned use for them and if that use doesnt come to fruition, I will toss them.

I still have $$$ in our treasury to disburse but am waiting for certificate of dissolutin from our Secretary of State's office. I have been filling out forms and communicating with three State offices to bring this beast to closure.

Now, the local dahlia society here is planning to close but Thank God I am only peripherally involved with that group and will have no responsibility in cleaning out THAT storage shed.

Yppej
    I tossed a pair of gardening gloves that had the fingers poking through. I'm reading L'Art de la Simplicite which says in part, "Anything in an interior that is not absolutely fit for purpose becomes a minor irritation, like a slight but nagging headache or toothache." That got me thinking.

So last night we go out to dinner and my DH says that he wants to purge all the junk he has but is not good at it. I ask if I can help and he says yes which he never has before. I tell him that when we get rid of the stuff in the 1 car garage then I will help him sort his tools, screws, etc so he can have the workshop he has always wanted. So we started today. I make the initial decisions and then he can look at what I put in boxes for him to look through. I have filled both the huge garbage cans and recycling container in just a few hours. I am both good and fast at this. Although, it will take time becaue there is so much of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    So last night we go out to dinner and my DH says that he wants to purge all the junk he has but is not good at it. I ask if I can help and he says yes which he never has before. I tell him that when we get rid of the stuff in the 1 car garage then I will help him sort his tools, screws, etc so he can have the workshop he has always wanted. So we started today. I make the initial decisions and then he can look at what I put in boxes for him to look through. I have filled both the huge garbage cans and recycling container in just a few hours. I am both good and fast at this. Although, it will take time becaue there is so much of it.
    This is epic! My DH would not ever allow me to interfere with his hoard.

Yppej
    I found some junk in the basement, most too bulky or heavy to go out in the trash, but I will be getting rid of an old car cover and wooden mousetraps I'd forgotten about.

Thread Information