Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossing the border next Thursday, a little apprehensive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Really??? How old are you?
    Old enough not to put posters on Ignore?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Most people move past the "ignore" thing after they turn 8/10/12 :-)

Some people however have the foundation of their understanding of the world stuck at that age. It must make the world a scary place for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Really??? How old are you?
    That has been a fun thread!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    yep, I learned at very early age that, Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never harm me. Or something like that. That was what I was told when I was still a wee youngster.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    yep, I learned at very early age that, Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never harm me. Or something like that. That was what I was told when I was still a wee youngster.
    Don't you understand that words are sticks and stones! What about "verbal violence?"

verbal abuse is a very real thing (call it violence or not, but the lots of things that get called violence aren't - it has to involve physical contact with the physical body itself to truly qualify probably), but from the internet this might affect teens and 20 something naifs without a lot of perspective on life in a really deep way. It may be HURTFUL regardless, but it's not going to seriously affect the course of any middle aged person's life, but young people can be real vulnerable sometimes, they just don't always have a lot of perspective on things, depending probably on how much other support they have in life etc..
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I I understand that as an adult I need to work to earn my keep and that I need to make some kind of contribution to society and with this I have no problem.

I truly can't understand how anyone could take identity from what they do for money - such is completely beyond me.
    So your value is just unbelievably high, that you don't expect you need to earn your own healthcare but for a little bit of charity work, a few hours a week.
    I believe a lot of things are beyond you, but some spend enough time and get enough education that they do take identity from what they do for money. Examples are Doctors, lawyers, Law enforcement, politicians.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    But what if no one's reading this?
    Delusions have never needed a basis in reality.

Geila, color me as hoping this brouhaha (I picked up this word in Mexico years ago and have always wanted to use it lol) will help in calming things down. I for my part will be keeping certain peeps on perma-ignore and I invite them to do the same with me - though such is of course up to them as free individuals. I get that.
    the nastinesswhining/victim mentality is depressing and tiring.... insanity
    The option exists now, and he finally got that now. Now if he only got the points made to him...
    My take is that certain folks here never grasped that this street very much goes both ways
    ...from the side of the street that he wouldn't cross to examine/learn from/listen to....
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Most people move past the "ignore" thing after they turn 8/10/12 :-)

Some people however have the foundation of their understanding of the world stuck at that age. It must make the world a scary place for them.
    ..then he might have continued to learn lessons that many of us have after these ages.
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    verbal abuse is a very real thing (call it violence or not, but the lots of things that get called violence aren't - it has to involve physical contact with the physical body itself to truly qualify probably), but from the internet this might affect teens and 20 something naifs without a lot of perspective on life in a really deep way. It may be HURTFUL regardless, but it's not going to seriously affect the course of any middle aged person's life, but young people can be real vulnerable sometimes, they just don't always have a lot of perspective on things, depending probably on how much other support they have in life etc..
    Not everyone has the mental capabilities to handle a lot. Hence Einstein's definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. No matter how others have tried, some will just never get it.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    I'm glad you had an easy time coming back through customs. Maybe remember this positive experience when you plan your next trip over. Sometimes I think the more positive our thoughts and feelings the easier things go. I can be pretty bad about building up "what if" scenarios in my mind after being married to a pessimist for 27 years...I'm returning to my more positive outlook and finding that 89% of the times the "what if" never even comes close to happening.
    Thank You, Float On. Here's an interesting bit of news about crossing the border again in the future. My husband has a cousin he likes that's having a Birthday soon in Nogales, Mexico and he wants both of us to cross to be part of the family party and based on my experience crossing he's willing to give it a go - meaning cross into Mexico and cross back to the US. He's also been apprehensive - given that he's Hispanic, my take is that this is very understandable given the current situation. So we'll see.....I'm a little anxious as his spouse regarding him leaving the US and crossing back and a few of our neighbors are like don't do it....don't take the risk, and even my Mother is saying she'd think it over more before leaving the US in his case. This may come as no surprise to those who are familiar with me over time but I ended out with someone as strong willed as I am LOL - he's made up his mind and he's going to cross and that's just that, whatever happens be damned. His paperwork is impeccable and given my smooth crossing, I'm hoping for the best.......and Thank You again for your kind words, Float On, I do appreciate them. Rob
    Last edited by gimmethesimplelife; 7-26-17 at 8:35pm.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Something else funky about the software here - it seems as if I still have access to the Moderator area of the board. Given that I have stepped down I'm of the opinion that such access is no longer appropriate. I'm thinking that once the mods and/or Alan reads this, such access can easily be removed in my case? Thank You in advance to those behind the scenes for looking into this. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Didn't Aristotle, or maybe the Jesuits, say something to the effect of "Give me the boy until he is seven, and I will show you the man."

I'm not where I fall on the speech-as-violence thing. There are probably a number of things we need to protect children from. On the other hand, I have little (perhaps less than I should) patience for adults who value some subjective concept of "abuse" over free speech. College students, for instance, shouldn't be able to shut down speakers whose ideas "make them feel unsafe."

Thread Information