Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jury duty morning.....

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Rob, you will be missing a golden opportunity to represent your people. That is what the system is for.

If if you were unable to work starting today, for whatever reason the banquet serving industry would continue without a blip. Believe me. Only a specialized brain surgeon or the like is likely to be missed.

i just read your second post. If you are ever accused of a crime I hope your peers don’t feel like you do

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Rob, you will be missing a golden opportunity to represent your people. That is what the system is for.

If if you were unable to work starting today, for whatever reason the banquet serving industry would continue without a blip. Believe me. Only a specialized brain surgeon or the like is likely to be missed.
    Au contraire. I may be no brain surgeon, true that, but I am getting texted - seven times already since 7 AM - regarding work flow/procedures/paperwork/documentation/office staff personalities. Certainly the show can go on without me, I'm a dime a dozen, but without someone else who has some handle on the role there will be client complaints and chargebacks. Not good and not necessary. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I'm in the lounge adjacent to the juror assembly area as I type this. This is so bizarre.....I keep getting texts from work as the person who is filling in for me doesn't know the role - through no fault of their own may I add - and I keep getting texted with questions and asking for advice. This is very new - the only communication I've ever gotten from jobs on time off was desperate attempts to try to get me to come in. So bizarre to be asked for advice.

And something else bizarre today too was that a judge came down to talk to the assembled jurors and it was like he was sales pitching the entire concept of jury service - My guess is there's been a lot of pushback as many people can't afford to show their face here given the declining standards of living in America, low wages for this cost of living, and increasing prices with no real increases to match. In 2005 when I went through this process it was as if there was an expectation that you submit to the process - now there seems to be an awareness that for many people, it's both too much to ask and excessive in general (I refer to economics here and how many people are one paycheck away from being homeless in America). Interesting to see the process kiss the rear end of those summoned ever so slightly. Rob
    During our jury service here we endure a canned video about the justice system and the importance of our role in it. It is a little hokey, but also the judges and attornies, if we actually get into a courtroom, thank us sincerely for serving. They go out of their way to sound appreciative.

I have never understood the idea that as a jurist, we sit in judgement. No, we dont. We are there to determine fact. We arent “judging” the accused, we are fact checking. If Person A is dead and Person B is accused of doing the deed, we weigh the facts surrounding Person B’s involvment.

For God's sake, just do your civic duty. You'll probably learn something in the process.

Some good news! It's 9:49 AM here in Arizona and out of 4 cases today, two have already been resolved with no jurors necessary - probably plea deals made and accepted. Hoping, hoping, hoping, the magic number of 0 cases arrives before noon. And something else interesting - I was handed a piece of paper to fill out and one of the questions asked was......drumroll please......my zip code - completely independent of my address. Mmmmmm......profiling much? (but in this one case it may actually work for me, odd though that is). It's still offensive anyway. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    For God's sake, just do your civic duty. You'll probably learn something in the process.
    Jane, I am not trashing you with what I am about to post - really, I am not. We often seem to see eye to eye and I don't mean to trash you here. I just want to pose a question, then maybe you will understand where I am coming from. What's more important, my civic duty as you say, or dealing with a crisis at work I can't be there to correct.....a job which pays me enough money that I am paying taxes into the system for to hopefully support what limited safety nets we have in this country? I'll take the latter.

And the crisis at work is a screwed up late minute shipment requiring a staffing change and plating change (and for the kitchen, a menu change) for today's lunch. I would be of much more service in the workplace right now, earning money and putting out fires and paying taxes. So I see it. Rob

FFS. Just. Sit. There. And. Do. It.

Complaining about how "the system" puts your ZIP code down when 1) you don't want to participate when given the opportunity to perform a duty of citizenship; and 2) you want out for monetary reasons is not A Good Look. If you were the accused at a jury trial, would you want the only folks hearing your case to be only those who had the free time or a a reimbursement to serve? How close are those people to "your peers"?

Think of the longer game, Rob. Or move someplace where jury trials are unnecessary.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

dealing with a crisis at work I can't be there to correct
    So who's gonna die if you alone are not there to fix the problem?

Seriously, perspective. If, as you say, you're "a dime a dozen", someone else can figure out how to respond to the customer. If you're that critical to your company's work, you really should have documented policies and procedures and a succession plan. Let sitting jury duty be the illumination to what apparently is a terrible gap in your company's workflow.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Jane, I am not trashing you with what I am about to post - really, I am not. We often seem to see eye to eye and I don't mean to trash you here. I just want to pose a question, then maybe you will understand where I am coming from. What's more important, my civic duty as you say, or dealing with a crisis at work I can't be there to correct.....a job which pays me enough money that I am paying taxes into the system for to hopefully support what limited safety nets we have in this country? I'll take the latter.

And the crisis at work is a screwed up late minute shipment requiring a staffing change and plating change (and for the kitchen, a menu change) for today's lunch. I would be of much more service in the workplace right now, earning money and putting out fires and paying taxes. So I see it. Rob
    It’s just jury duty. Nobody’s asking you to hold Bastogne against the Nazis.

I am breathing a little easier. I was able to take a break outside and make some calls and come up with a new plating arrangement that is actually easier and less time consuming for staff....and just right before staff set out in the dining area to set up for my area's conference meal. Close, very close, but solved. Office off my rear end and my fill in (I feel for them, this young man had no training whatsoever and is flying by the seat of his pants, something that happened to me in a lower level management role (very lower level) at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon some years ago) is very grateful as it's off his hands. Got the office to deal with the staffing level/labor cost issues, which is not my call/area anyway........now I guess this show can go on. There is a chance I may be going upstairs into a courtroom as there is a case going forward at 10:30 PM, which is right now.

We'll see how this goes. I'm just relieved the fires at work are put out (at least for this very brief window of time) - I am for once making money I find worthwhile and wish to do my best, no excuses, no exception, no explanations, and no qualifications.....just my personal best work period. Rob

Thread Information